Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The sound of F Bass and others

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Hey cats,
    I've just released a jazz/fusion/funk CD that features a bunch of basses. For anybody who wonders what a F Bass BN6, F Bass Alain Caron fretless 6, Peavey Cirrus 6, Azola BugBass EUB, or Mike Lull vintage jazz 4 sound like when professionally recorded and mixed, just go listen to any of the 11 tracks at www.cdbaby.com/krutsinger
    The first 2 minutes of each song are offered as sound samples. I'll break it down for you:
    track 1: F Bass Alain Caron 6 fretless
    track 2: F Bass Alain Caron 6 fretless
    track 3: Peavey Cirrus 6 (redwood/alder)
    track 4: F bass Alain Caron 6 fretless
    track 5: Azola Bug Bass EUB
    track 6: F Bass BN6
    track 7: F bass BN6
    track 8: Mike Lull Vintage Jazz 4
    track 9: F Bass Alain Caron 6 fretless
    track 10: F bass BN6
    track 11: Mike Lull VJ4, F Bass BN6

Check it out. I'd love to hear your feedback on the songs and the sounds.

2. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    It sounds GREAT : very professional.

I like the FBass BN6 and Alain Caron Fretless bass sound.

Good songs, good musicians, well produced : no negative points.

You are a damn good keyboard player !

Thanks for sharing those songs with us.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Thanks for sharing!
    Nice F tones, that's pretty much the sound I associate with them.
    They all sound quite nice. Did you mix these? If not, someone definitely respected the bass.
    Tight drumming too. Some of the tunes are sequenced drums?
    Me likey!

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, sounds pretty sweet...jazz really isn't my flavor, but you're nailing some pretty sweet grooves. nice percussion, too. i love the tone from the caron 6. i really love that bass. great stuff, man.

5. Xush,
    Nope, no sequenced drums (or anything else) on this album. I did not mix the record, but I produced it, so I had control over how it was mixed. The Alain Caron tone on track one has a heavy portion of the piezo bridge pickups blended with the magnetic pickup, while the bass tone on track 4 is only the magnetic pickup. I used different preamps on the bass tracks as well--most of the time an Evil Twin tube Direct box going direct to tape, but also sometimes a Grace preamp or an Aguilar DB680 going straight to tape.

Thanks for the kind words, everybody.