Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Sound of Things to Come...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Eric Rene Roy, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Isn't US Military Intelligence using this technology for PsyOps purposes already? I remember reading somewhere that some Emergency Management organizations were also considering using something like this as an emergency warning system.

3. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    eroy, thanks for this posting...utterly facinating. I love these cats who despite big business and R+D and all the big companies, come up with ideas so deep and inventions so revolutionary. I can see some real devious @#$% going down with this device. Imagine it on the trading floor of the stock exchange...a little whispered "sell, sell"

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well if it ever becomes widespread, I'm sure there will be laws governing its usage. I don't think you'd be able to use it for subliminal advertising, just like subliminal advertising is outlawed in films, TV and music. However, it will probably be allowed as an advertising tool, so you might want to get used to the idea.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Two things:

1) Norris' device is based on the non-linearity of transmission of ultrasonic frequencies through air. In effect, the air demodulates the desired signal (the sound) from the ultrasonic carrier. Norris' contribution is the development of an efficient way to do this. It's actually a very old idea and phenomonon that was difficult to realize practically. Norris demonstrated his devices some years back at a meeting of the Acoustical Society of America. He was not very forthcoming with the details of its operation other than to explain that he had developed a "pre-processor" to condition the signal to make near-optimal use of the non-linear effects upon which the technique relies.

2) About 30 years ago, subliminal advertising was shown to be nonsense. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SUBLIMINAL PERCEPTION!
    (For those of you out there who might not believe me, I really don't care to dredge up this nonsense here. The so-called "subliminal perceptions" are a result of entangling response biases with sensitivity-- all quite well accounted for by signal-detection theory.)

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004