The sound of Thunder, the sound of Funk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Dec 30, 2004.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I have read every thread here on TB concerning the ThunderFunk head. I have listened to the samples I found on the web.

I have never seen or tried this head in person.

I am still biased and i have no clear idea on how this head could sound in my hands.

To which major name in bass amplfication you would associate in terms of sound the ThuderFunk head?

I know that this comparison are not that accurate, but you would help me a lot.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    To me.......none of the above :cool:
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Obviously I just named only some of the most known bass amp sounds...
  4. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL

I think this site is very well done and accurate. I hope Mark Wright sends Todd an AccuGroove cab.

Dave "Thunder" Funk
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Same here. That's why I bought the ThunderFunk;)
  6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    +2 and the Basstaster's suggestion was a good one. All things considered, it's not a bad accounting of what the amp is capable of IMHO :bassist:
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i havnt yet heard a tfunk, but the basststers clip sounds like the way i remember the AMP sounding. I sorta think it sounds much more demeter-ish than anything from swr or eden. I like the way they all sound, but it seems liek the tfunk has a lot more going on in the mids than either the swr or the eden.
  8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I agree with Jerry and Brad. The TF sound is unique! But if I had to pick one (please be gentle) it would be the older GK 800 RB. I will admit though that it's been a while since I owned a GK 800RB but some of the tones that I get out of the TF remind me of my old 800RB. Much more tone versatility than the GK amps though.
    The overall sound of the TFB-420 is great but IMO what makes it so awesome is the ability to quickly dial in great tones reguardless of which bass or cabinet's you're using. You just can't get it to sound bad!

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    How does the tone & Eq versatility compare to an Eden Navigator?...

10. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    +1, that's a good way to describe it. Although I'd say the TF is warmer (to my old ears, anyway....).