Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Licketysplit, Aug 28, 2000.

1. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    I was wandering, everyone makes references to each company's "sound". But what gets me is that no one really talks about the sound. So... I was wondering, What is the Hartke sound? The SWR Sound? The Eden sound? The Fender sound? The Galien Krueger sound? The Crate Sound?...
    I know that with a lot of tweaking amps can sound like most anything, but they still have thier own voice, whether it be punchy and tight, or bottomy and low. Please give some input:)

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    The only equipment that I've had enough experience to comment on is Crate. Others will have opinions vastly different from mine, but here's what I consider to be the Crate sound: clear but precise highs with a nice pronounced and rounded midrange and finally a clean, solid low-end. These are the tonal qualities that I've found in both the Crate amps that I own as well as others that I've played through. About the only thing that might not be present is huge ammounts of deep bass (I'm talking like low B string here), though since I play a 4 I don't really know for sure.

I've been told over and over again that the SWR sound is what is considered to be the "modern" and "state of the art" sound. Big, deep, pronounced bass with squeaky clean, shimmering highs is how I would describe it.

From the limited experience that I've had with Hartke's aluminium cones, I'd say that Hartke goes for a "modern" sound kinda like SWR, but with a more pronounced midrange. It would be like a 3 way speaker (SWR: high-fi and modern) as compared to a 2 way speaker (Hartke: pronounced and clear, a slap player's dream). However, these are all just my opinions.

If I was going to use your own words: I'd say that Hartkes are punchy and tight and SWR's are bottomy and low with clear and precise highs. Crates would probably be somewhere in the bassy / midrangy area- highs are ok (keep in mind that I play a lot of ska and jazz here: emphasis on moving lines and bass) but not what you'd get with SWR, Eden, of GK (there's only one Crate model that I know of that has a tweeter though).

Sound is a pretty hard thing to put into words to describe it- hope I've done at least a fair job here.

3. You are going to get a variety of answers on this, because everyone hears things a little differently, and different basses sound different through different speakers. So, What's the difference?
    Ok, seriously, I have owned all of the above and here are my opinions:Hartke- Barking Mids, does sound great for funk bass, well defined but weak low end. Blew the speakers with
    a GK head,:(
    SWR- I have a goliath3 and a redhead combo with a 1x15 extension. Efficient speakers, huge low end, good punchy mids.
    Eden- Played the Nemesis and the 4x10.. Awesome, Awesome Awesome..Sensurround type sound, almost like you're in the theater..a low end you can feel in your sub-regions...
    GK -Sturdy, very flat response no nonsense Cabs. takes a beating, I used two 15 cabs on tour in Europe and they were very dependable.
    Fender- My First Amp! Bassman 100 with a 4x12 folded cab. What a beast!Great if you wanted that low definition motown
    bass that you feel more than hear. Absolutely non-existant high end.
    Crate- Very solid-state sounding, Great highs,very percussive mids, but I had a speaker rattle problem on the low end.So, FWIW, that's my .02 :)