1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Soundgear Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THE DANiMAL, Oct 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have the Big Splits on my 1405 mated with the stock preamp. I don't have any experience with the Big Singles or any other SDGR configuration for that matter. Per hype, the Splits supposedly fall somewhere between the P and J vibes. I am curious as to how well the OBP pulls thing together. I've been sticking Audere Classic modules in a couple of non-Ibanez fivers.

Riis

nuage420b likes this.
  2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    my sixer is a 91 sr. The sr neck and body shape really works well for sixes. Would love to play a BEADGCF seven, but the BTB is too flat for me.

nuage420b likes this.
  3. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    The EHB1500/1505 has Big Splits. I have one in the J position of a PJ bass & I thing the sound has more gravity than some of the single coils.

Zooberwerx and nuage420b like this.
  4. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    Yeah when I got the Big Singles on my SR1100 I had some trouble getting used to them, Ive bee a soapbox guy for a long time... and with that said, @nuage420b, I had those BH2 PUs on a BTB 5 and I didn't really like them either..... but I will submit my vote for American Bartolini's!!

nuage420b likes this.
  5. nuage420b

nuage420b Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    So I've been able to get good tone using my GT1B. I don't dislike them as much as i do straight to the amp. I would still like to swap them out. I'm trying to have my effects loops consist of only an ampeg SCRI, a compressor, and a tuner.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  6. DrewGroove

DrewGroove

Aug 28, 2012
    So I am looking at the SR Premium lineup with the Nords for a 5ver. I am split between this and a traditional passive MIA Fender 5 Jazz. How does a bass like this compare to a Fender jazz? Do you feel that the Ibanez premium lineup can fit in most genres from Jazz to funk to blues to metal? Any feedback is appreciated!

7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You're talking about two very different beasts!

Here are the specs for the Jazz V:
    upload_2020-7-30_11-37-11.png

and here are the specs for an SR2605:
    upload_2020-7-30_11-41-6.png

I picked two basses that cost about the same on Sweetwater for comparison.

The first thing I would mention is that the Jazz has 19mm string spacing while the SR has 16.5mm string spacing. If you need wider spacing then you've got to with the Jazz or go for something SR like with wider string spacing.

There's also the fact that the SR has a flatter finger radius than the Jazz - 12" vs 9.5". The nut is also wider on the Jazz, but that makes sense since string spacing is wider.

SR also has a smaller body, which might be more comfortable for you. The SR will probably be lighter than the Jazz as well.

Other than that it's just aesthetics and hardware preferences. Any of the Premium line SR5's will be more than usable in any genre. The Nordstrand pickups have a really good sound and the preamp is very flexible.

Here's my premium SR5:

gi8n0cxum1yeuatjqtue.jpg pykmvjoavgigme0d5hx7.jpg

Attached Files:

8. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    If you want the wider spacing you have the Sr2405 and the EHB1500's. The 2405 will have aguilars in it though.

9. Yeah, I didn't even want to comment on that just because those two basses are so different. they won't even feel remotely close to the same. The Ibanez is gonna have such a thinner, slimmer neck, if you hold that thing for any length of time and then pick up that Jazz the Jazz is gonna feel like a softball bat. They are just that different. I'm not saying a Jazz isn't good or anything, I'm just saying it's really hard to compare those two in any meaningful way.

ElBecko59 and nuage420b like this.
  10. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I recommend playing the Jazz first. Then go play an Ibanez. Then buy the Ibanez.

11. ElBecko59

ElBecko59 Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2019
    Outer Ozone Layer
    You asked and my best feedback is "you" must physically play them in your hands and then you decide , Not here on the forums - You can read Fender/Ibanez shootouts , reviews or specs all day and until you try them out it doesn't matter what the experts say , Just sayin' :) I have bought many instruments online w/o trying them and it's always crap shoot - As they are two totaly different basses (passive vs active - traditional Fender vs Ibanez) --- I would buy both but that's me --:D

johnnylighton and TerribleTim68 like this.
  12. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    this guy is a guitarist but used a SDGR for this cover of One

13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    OK SR guys, a question for you. I have a 2009 SR500L with Bartolini pickups and an active EQ. I'm wondering if anyone's changed out their Bart's for Nordstrand pickups instead? Playing my SR1200L VNF compared to the SR500, the SR500 sounds actually pretty anemic. My SR400EL is much more powerful than the SR1200L and it only had Ibanez Powerspan pickups.

Any opinions on this? @Killed_by_Death ?

Thanks!

Killed_by_Death and nuage420b like this.
  14. only PowerSpan?
    They're only The Best damn pickup Ibanez has come up with since the PFR (Passive Full-Range) that they put in the SRX (SR eXtreme)
    I keep telling you folks, Bartolini just isn't good at making great pickups.
    at least not to my taste

TBH when I first tried a SR370E with PowerSpan pickups, I thought they were an OEM made by Nordstrand!

RE: PFR/SRX, Carol Kaye loves them & still plays one:

CK-with-Ibanez.png

15. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    @alaskaleftybass general consensus based on some lengthy convos on the BART/NORD/AGS here recently seems to be, if you want warm dark tones use barts, if you want to get the most growl you can single coil Nords (what I'll be replacing my barts with), if you want a wide range and not so much growl the ags are they way.

16. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    @Killed_by_Death the more I play with the Dynamix in my gsr206b the less I want to swap them out for the MAMA jazz singles I have for it. I have a little Seymour Duncan STC-2S for it but I think it'll stop there. I'll need to find another use for the MAMA's

17. Ibanez finally woke up a few years ago & stopped putting crappy pickups in their lower models. I hated all the old ones, & even some pickups in the Japanese Ibanez (heaven forbid), but these days they have a good grip on making good OEM pickups. There's nothing wrong with the Dynamix pickups, & TBH I wonder why people change them at all.
    Yes, Mikro has Soundgear printed on the headstock!

18. I've commented this enough times, but I'll repeat it once more.
    It's possible to 'stifle' a Nordstrand to lose the growl & sound more traditional, but it's impossible to make those Bartolini's have growl like a Nordstrand.

It's not apparent right away with the active EQ, because they don't function like a passive treble-cut, which can give you a mid-bump (resonant peak) at any location given the correct Capacitor value.

IME it's easy to cut higher frequencies, but bosting highs artificially just doesn't sound good & most of the time just adds hiss.

IamBuzzy and nuage420b like this.
  19. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hey @Killed_by_Death I'd be happy to use the PowerSpans! While I'm at it, I'm thinking I'll just buy the entire guts for the SR400E from Ibanez Parts store. I might just completely switch everything out. I'll bet the PowerSpans are a better deal too. The only mod I'll have to make is a tiny hole to add the switch. Thanks!

nuage420b and Killed_by_Death like this.
  20. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I need to clarify everyone. My other bass is an SR300EL NOT 400EL. Sorry bout that.......

TerribleTim68 likes this.