The soundman loves my G&L . . .

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by FidgetStone, May 18, 2007.

1. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I got a nice complement on my ASAT's tone that I thought that I would share.

My regular gig is the house bass player for the contemporary service at my church. Like so many churches these days, we have gone to an in-ear monitoring system with no amps on stage at all.

At the end of rehearsal last night our soundman came up and told me that I have the best sounding bass he has ever heard. (I wish that he were talking about my playing) He said "I don't know anything about basses and guitars, but you have the best sounding bass I have ever heard." He went on to say that he doesn't EQ it, compress it, or do anything at all to sound except play with volume.

All I do is plug the ASAT straight into a standard DI box. I don't even use my trusty R.L. Baggs Para Acoustic DI that I couldn't have lived without before I got the ASAT. (I still use the Baggs on the increasingly rare occasion that I play the big upright bass)

Most of the time I leave the switches set to passive / parallel / both pickups on, and both the bass and treble controls turned to about 75% on. (25% cut)

I'm happy because when the soundman like the tone, he cranks up the bass in the house mix :hyper:

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    That pretty much sums up what I like about the MFD tone!

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    ....and as most of us know, positive feedback from soundmen is pretty rare!

God bless those MFDs.

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    This is really encouraging because I just got my L2500 Tribute last week! I might just leave my Bass PODxt at home and use an ART tube pre or just straight into the DI.

5. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Any problem with buzz :scowl:

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Is that a question? I used to own a G&L L2000 Tribute and never had any problems with buzz on any setting.

7. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    No buzz from my ASAT!

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Hey thats awesome , keep rockin ! :bassist:

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    My L-1500 has generated positive feedback from sound guys too. They love it. When dialed in right, it's an excellent rock tone, with boom-free punch. I did get severe buzz in active mode at one show, so I kept it passive. That's never happened anywhere else.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've heard that there are noise issues from some of the USA models, but neither of the Tributes I've owned ever had buzz issues in normal situations.

There is something definitely weird about my home. Sometimes buzz-free basses buzz when I play them here.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021