Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Sounds of a MusicMan Bongo bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FleaWannabe, May 10, 2005.

1. FleaWannabe

FleaWannabe

May 7, 2005
    Denmark
    hi! anyone has a recording of a bongo bass (a cool solo would be nice)? I wanna hear what all the fuzz is about, peopel talking about hows its the best bass they ever played, im pretty happy with my SUB but ive wondered what a Bongo sounded like. Thank you!

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    good thread....am not sure how this basses sound but i noticed how ugly they are........... :p

3. All I can say is that when I tried one it was FAT. Punchy as hell. Nice bass(plus it was bright orange, big ++)

4. if you do a search, there is a big bongo thread with some clips.. :)

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I just needed to find a bongo thread to plug into - did a search for Bongo - and this was the 1st to come up. Sorry, no recorded clips yet, but I am thorughly convinced that these basses were made by God. That's all.

6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have a CD of a "local" band that I know was recorded with a Bongo. I can send you some sound clips if you like. In fact, I'm buying the same Bongo from the guy. hehe. Needless to say, i'm pretty stoked about it.

Mmmmmm.... Bongo.

7. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Also if you're into Chevelle I think their bassist recorded their new CD with a Bongo (He was using one in the video for "The Clincher" at least)

8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i never read or seen any badly riview about the Bongos,this basses are goods instruments and all musicians love it,i can,t wait for test one.the Bongos have the 1st spot in the bass riviews right now..pretty amazing.

9. Yes, Chevelle's bassist did and does use the MM Bongo to record and tour with.

10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    mmm nice..The Red play with a Bongo..is support to sound evenly better

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    +1. The big 'buckers sound just like they look/you'd think they'd sound.

12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The MusicMan Bongo is a tone chameleon! With two pickups and a 4-band EQ (a single pickup 3-band EQ version is available also), the tonal possibilities are almost endless...

Any sound clips of a Bongo posted on the internet would just be a representation of how the player wants the bass to sound for the recording, and it would still give you no indication of how it would sound in your hands with your gear.

IMO, the only way to evaluate how any bass sounds, feels, plays, etc., is to find a dealer for the instrument, then get off your arse and go play it yourself...

War Bongos! :D

13. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    If everyone just did that, there wouldn't be a need for this board and I wouldn't have anything to do during the day at work. :D

14. Sooooo true. I've thought that many-a-time. haha

15. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Well, we can still trade our ideas, opinions, and post our personal reviews, but to just ask for sound clips on the internet is a little rediculous, IMO...

(I can understand wanting specific sound clips for comparison - Bongo, EQ flat, bridge pup solo'd, vs. neck pup solo'd, etc...)

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Why is asking ridiculous? It's just someone asking for information. Given current gas prices, it makes sense to hear a sound clip before spending $40-80 dollars to go 100-300 miles one way to hear a bass that you can't get in your town. Either you will respond with the information or you don't. Either way is no big deal.

17. It can do many things really. There's quite a warm sound coming out of the front pickup, boost the bass a bit and you could play in a blues band, while if you blend the pickups the sound is both warm and defined. The back pickup is quite agressive. But yeah, as people have said, go and try it out before you buy.

18. I have only tried a 5 string( I use a 4 string Sterling) at the store and all I can tell you, I have been saving to get my Bongo soon...

19. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    First,
    I worded my last post poorly. Asking is not rediculous. Thinking that you're going to really hear what the Bongo can do through internet sound clips is a little rediculous. (I'm not pretending to know what FleaWannabe is thinking ;) )

Next,
    What kind of information do you have, really? I could play with the EQ and pickup blend on my Bongo and make dozens of different sounding recordings. Which ones would people like? Who knows? Maybe you're looking for a bass with fat fingerstyle tone, then I post a clip with a Marcus Miller slap tone, and you think the Bongo isn't for you. All I'm saying is that sound clips on the internet are not a good way to evaluate the sound of a single bass, and definitely not the best way to hear everything it can do.

Finally, FleaWannabe wants to "hear what all the fuzz is about". So if FWB wants to hear some clips just for fun, that's cool! But, I think it would take quite a few clips just to get a small idea of the versatility of the Bongo...

20. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    My question would be - what do you WANT it to sound like?