1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Spam-Free LASIK thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan316, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Allright.

All y'all laser-beam-shooting battlebot freaks.

Let's talk about getting your eyeballs hacked to bits and turned into onion slices. How many of ya got it done? How much did it end up costing you? How long ago, and how's your eyesight today?

And quite importantly, anyone have a BAD experience getting their eyes butchered?

2. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    "And quite importantly, anyone have a BAD experience getting their eyes butchered?"

I would like the answer to that question.

3. I haven't gotten it done, but I am planning on it sometime in the future. I get it cheap because my mom works for an eye doctor.

lowsound

4. Haven't done it, or even really considered it, but the Navy covers the cost. I've been wearing glasses since I was 8, and I really rather like them - makes my nose look smaller. ;)

At any rate, a lot of people I serve with have had it done, and for the most part it's pretty safe and reliable. I know of two people who have a heightened sensitivity to light, and thus have to wear sunglasses all the time, but that's about the worst I've heard first-hand.

5. My sister had it done and she loves it.

Hopefully in a few years I can be in a position to get that kind of thing. Some people I talk to say they see better now than they ever did, which sounds pretty sweet. My eyes suck, but I hate wearing glasses or contacts.

6. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    done it. love it. 20/15. nuff said.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    How long has this procedure been around? Are there people walking around who have had it for the past 20+ years to know the long term effects?

8. Not lasik, but I had my eyes lasered for another reason and the "painless" procedure was quite painful. Ever stuck a needle in your eye? Ten to twelve times? Me neither, but I imagine I got the next best thing. That, and it didn't work.

I'll be wearing my glasses, thank you.

Mike

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    http://lasik-flap.com/ is maybe what you're looking for. Maybe not. There's also the Wikipedia entry, which has a lot of information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasik

I've never had it and only know a couple people who have mentioned it. They are content with the procedure. There's something about it which creeps me the heck out though and if I needed it there's no way I'd do it.

10. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Just over a year ago, about $3000, and my only regret is not doing it sooner. I now have better than 20/20 vision and before my correction was -8.5. Just research your doctor, find one your comfortable with and go for it.

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, i tripped on that last thread. His first post seemed kind of legit. That's why didn't bag too much. It did seem like span though. Might not have been.

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Women who wear glasses are sexy

13. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    April 08 will mark 2 years since I had "custom wavefront lasik", and I'm glad I did. After wearing glasses since I was in grade school, I'm glad to get rid of them.

My distance vision is still not as perfect as I would like, but considering I can easily drive, play golf, watch TV, etc.....all without glasses, I guess I would have to say I would do it again in an instant.

As for the procedure, I had no pain, no discomfort..........my wife drove me home from my 3:15 appointment, I rested for a while, and then I DROVE TO DINNER THAT NIGHT! (Literally less than 4 hours after having the procedure done!)

I'm considering having a "touch up" done to sharpen up my distance vision, but I haven't talked to the doctor about it yet. If they feel I can get significant improvement, I'm sure I'll give it a try, but even if I just stay with what I've got right now, I can still say I'm happy I finally did it.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. Especially Asian chicks who wear glasses. They look too smart to be into all those dirty things they do.

15. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Maki, I gotta tell ya, I just got home from one of those emotionally draining rehearsals with an obnoxious singer and was obviously in a bad mood. This made life worth living again. :bassist: thank you.

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    The illusion of innocence. A well known Male fantasy.

17. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

My wife had it done. Cost was between $2k-3k, and she couldn't be happier. We were really careful in choosing the best doctor in the region, particularly because she had an astigmatism which I guess made it more complex. Her eyes were sensitive and irritated for a few days, and she saw some halos in her vision for a few weeks, but everything else went really smoothly. She had deliberately waited a few years before having it done because we were worried about the long term effects, which don't seem to be a problem.

They gave her a video of the procedure. It's just nuts -- like a horror movie or something. There's just a giant eyeball on the screen, and then they come in and peel up her cornea. Gave me an epic case of the heebie jeebies. Heck, I shivered now just remembering it. :eek:

Still, if I needed glasses, I'd endure it. Perfect vision is pretty danged convenient, IMO. Who wants to need glasses to scope out asian chicks?

18. RIjake

RIjake

Nov 10, 2007
    New England
    I had it done Jan '02, yep 6 years and still going strong. Best $1000 I ever spent, Even if my eyes went back to the way they were before the surgery. I've been 20/15 since about 6 months after the procedure.
    It freaked me out when I had it done and for a couple days after though. It's kinda tough for me to relinquish all control to a total stranger who wants to stick things in your eye! Thanks, I'm OK now

19. Man do I ever want to do this. Glasses and contacts are a pain in the ass.

20. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I had custom wavefront lasik last September. They used the Bosch laser and it cost $2400 with the lifetime of free adjustments if your vision changes. My left eye is what they call a lazy eye, so my vision has never been very good even with glasses or contacts.

Within the first 90 days I could see close up as well as far away. Now 6 months later I can tell my vision has changed and I need t make an appointment to see what it has changed to. After lasik, my right eye was better than 20/20 and my left eye was 20/25.

I am over 40, so I am experiencing the issue with my eyes being able to focus on things up close like reading the small print in my bible. But at a distance, I can see fantastic.

As for sensitivity to light, yes, that has been an issue. I went out and spent $150 a nice pair of Raybans and fixed that problem.

Even with the sunlight sensitivity and the over 40 focusing problem that most people run into at that age anyway, I would do it all over again. I no longer have to worry messing with Toric Contact lenses that do not always rotate into place properly and the hassle of taking out every night and cleaning. The glasses, having them fog up from hot to cold or having to carry a clip on sunglass or having to put my hand over my glasses during the rain to they do not get drops of water all over them. Worse, playing outside in the extreme heat and having sweat drip down on the lenses. :crying:

My only regret is that they didn't have this technology available 20 years ago for the same cost as now. I sure would have had it done back then when I was a younger lad.

Most lasik places offer financing, if you can afford $60 a month extra I would recommend getting it done.