The sparrow and the bear, redux

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton In Memoriam

Aug 17, 2003
    Denver, Co.
    DURRL...The name of the Martch that Dave quoted in his solo is: National Emblem Martch by E.M. Bagley.
    I don't care if he cops to it, or if nobody else can hear it.. I did and i'm still sendin' my Boyz!

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I didn't hear it until you mentioned it, and I don't really know the tune, but i think I hear what it must be by the words you quoted. I'll tell him your boyz are on their way, see? :ninja:

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    Inspirational

4. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks for posting this.

To me, one of the great feats of a musician is to make the audience hear notes and sounds that were never played. I kept hearing a whole band behind you, in hint form.

Beautiful.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for listening, guys. Playing with Dave is a real challenge without all the supporting instruments there, but it's well worth it. I sometimes get to play a chordless trio thing with a couple of great players around here (Jeremy knows the guys I'm talking about), and doing this sort of thing helps prepare me for that. I still feel like I don't know what the hell I'm doing half the time, but it keeps me on my toes.

6. you're intonation is excellent. beautiful. I like you're tone a lot. I can definitly tell they're dominants. The la scala is a rich bass.

two critiques: You're solo (which was very articulate and well developed), seemed to loose the push right on the front of the beat feel.

The general feel of the walking wasn't really driving with the same intensity the whole tune. There were sections where it was really driving especially after your solo. (that 5ths lick kicked ass).

great job man.

oh yah, great use of dynamics too.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for listening! I'm just getting back in the saddle after our lovely ice storm here, and missed your reply for a few days. I love the LaScala, hybrid though it may be.

Good observation, and I'll definitely take it. For years I've tended to rush like a bat out of hell while soloing, and I'm definitely in a period of compensation for that, sometimes to the other extreme

Again, dead on, and probably for the same reason. So many of these duo recordings that we do end up faster than they started, and I've really been focusing on trying to curtail that a bit. Again, thanks for listening, and for the perception. :)

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Better late than never...

My Ideal

It ain't perfect, but then what in life is, really? I'll also post another one from today's session just because it was fun and Dave took a ton of chances.

Sonnymoon for Two

9. Paul Warburton

Aug 17, 2003
    Denver, Co.
    Right on again, Durrl. The both of yous.
    Perfectly even and woody sound. Nice and fat in lower end and nice and bell-like in TP's. Did I detect a bit of Don Thomson influence up there? Great intonation. You both have that pianistic bent. Nice to hear you playing off the melody. Great breathing....no tech. ********. Music.
    On bar 15, I play an F#minor just before the B7......that's just me. REALLY like the way you're bending some of your notes in the left hand............
    As usual, right on. Thanks, man.
    Props to Dave.
    Pee.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks, PW - it means a lot coming from someone who really knows standards the way you do. That song has knocked me out since I first heard it, especially the lyrics. Dave and I have been trying to get a take of it for several months now, but up until yesterday every take had a few too many boogers to be considered a keeper. I don't know about a Don Thompson influence, but I've been trying to cop the phrasing-isms of some of my favorite vocalists lately. Dave played his ass off yesterday. He's an amazing guy - in his early 70's, and still more enthusiastic about music than many of the young students I work with. We get together once a month to play and just roll the recording in the hopes that after a while, we'll have enough to make a little album just for the hell of it.

I tried to figure out where the F# minor would fit with the melody in the bar you mentioned, but so far am too dense to figure it out. Can you throw a brother a bone? :help:

11. Paul Warburton

Aug 17, 2003
    Denver, Co.
    Since, unlike yerownself, I ain't no brilliant theorist so, let's go with the lryrics.
    "Just around the corner......F#mi B7, Fmi Bb7...(1/4 notes). waiting for me." Back to the tonic Eb for the last phrase.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Gotcha. I was trying to fit it into "never even know that she was my ideal" before, and couldn't find the love. I am a backwoods theorist, first and foremost. :)

13. Paul Warburton

Aug 17, 2003
    Denver, Co.
    Praise Jesus.

I'm glad you're dong the lyric thing. It can make you do some nice stuff.

14. Chris,

Don't have much to add but it sounds great, has a great feel between the two of you and your intonation is wonderful! Like your note choices a lot!

All the Best

T