1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Speaker Killer Lives ! SVT-PRO III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassblast, Mar 9, 2008.

1. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    Why is it every cab i run my SVT-PRO III threw blows up.

VICTIMS: Pro 410 hlf
    Beringer 410
    Hartke 410,15
    and several replacement speakers.
    Its rating is 450 watts and all the cabs i used were well over that rating. Tell me what i am doing wrong.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Probably too much gain level causing clipping.

You would probably get the same result with any solid state or hybrid 50W head.

3. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    I suspected that. What is the rule of thumb on that? Some people say more gain less volume and some say the other way around.

4. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    RTM

On an Ampeg amp you should adjust the gain so the red light flashes when you play your hardest note.

It is not supposed to be a constant light.

When this is set up correctly, pick your volume

Use the limiter.

Do not use extreme eq settings.

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Clipping in itself does not blow speakers - having too much instantaneous power causing a mechanical failure and/or too much power over time causing a thermal failure is how speakers are blown.

I would suspect you are pushing your low end way too much and are playing too loud. Either that, or there may be something wrong with the head - I have no clue how the circuit in the SVT-III Pro is, but with some solid state heads it is possible to have DC current on the output, which can blow spakers over time (thermally).

Edit: Good article by Bill Fitzmaurice regarding clipping of speakers.

6. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    Could a amp tech find out if thats happing?

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

+1000. This can't be stated often enough.

I owned a 3Pro for awhile, and was not impressed with the amount of power it had. So, I suspect there is a defect in your 3Pro. Take it in for repair.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The low power idea is BS, low apparent volume I won't argue with, although some seem to have a LOT more trouble with it than others.......

Suggest that either

1) you are boosting low end on ported cabs, driving them below tuning freq and so destroying them by over-excursion

2) DC leakage

"1" is a user issue, no repairs required