Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The splinter thread

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassteban, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Those w/experience: What's the worst wood for splinters(as regards injuries as opposed to poor working qualities)? I have bad results getting purpleheart out of my fingers, though it seems to go *in* quite easily. :crying:

2. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    wenge

3. Chris Stambaugh(as well as an artist friend of mine)doesn't like working w/it. Sure looks & feels nice, though- once it's sanded.
    Edit: NICE basses, Tim! I'm typically the guy who talks smack about amateurish-looking instruments w/o doing it better myself(or doing it at all), but in this case your stuff is neeeeyice. I particularly like the Nocturne's shape.

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I haven't even started working it yet, and already I've had tons of splinters from the board of wenge to be used as a neck. I can tell that it's going to be a love/hate relationship.

5. I must experience this wenge splinter you all(both?)speak of...
    As a father of 3, all under 6 yrs old, I am obviously a glutton for punishment. :)

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    They nailed it. Wenge. I must be sick I still like using it. :D

7. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    It wasn't a splinter from bass wood, but one time while handling plywood I got a 4-1/2" long sliver by 1/4" at it's widest point in the palm of my hand. It did hurt but looking at it I about passed out.

8. +1 on wenge

plus the ridiculously painful ipe splinter. Those buggers are thin and hard and dig deep into your skin. I had my wife try to get one out once, I ended up with a 1/2" long scar and the deeper we dug, the deeper the darn thing went! We finally gave up and I still have it in there.

9. Whenever I get a mean one like that, I say,"OK- I'll talk, I'll talk!" No one seems to get it. :rolleyes:

10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, wenge is the obvious choice. Purpleheart can also be quite the bitch when you get it in the rough.

11. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana

+1 on the purpleheart

12. Not to get too far afield, but when I was about five, I enjoyed sliding across the hardwood floor in my socks. That is, until I slid across a board with a splinter sticking up ever so slightly. The pointy end went into the meat of my big toe, and due to my inertia, went clear through the other side. As I continued my slide, my toe ripped the splinter right up off the floorboard. It was 2.5 inches long and about 3/16 inches wide. Tears and blood dripped everywhere. Mom pulled it out with tweezers, and I have managed to live a normal life in spite of it all.

13. Stories like this make me wish I could award prizes.

14. Sadly, I don't know what kind of wood it was. But whatever it was ... watch out! :bawl:

15. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    +1 for wenge without a doubt.
    I've also had a really bad bloodwood splinter once. It got stuck in thumb at an angle, and I could feel both ends, one at the tip of my thumb, the other near the edge/base/side of my nail.

16. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    While not a bass wood, I've had some fun splinters from treated lumber. The best part about them is that the chemicals they use to make them moisture resistant cause them to fester really quick. If you don't pull them your immune system will pretty much eject them by the next day anyway.

I've also learned my lesson about using my hand to brush away saw/sanding dust on a piece of wood. Use a chip brush or risk finding that one splinter that was sticking up under the dust.

-Nate

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My neck-thru 5 banger has a 5 piece wenge / purpleheart neck. I like to live dangerously.

Riis

18. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    purpleheart by far. it seems to cut in like a well sharpend knife and is a pain to get out. i've had some purpleheart splinters that've made me bleed before...

19. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ha! I just had that same experience a couple of weeks ago with my oak floors. Sliding across the floor with socks - into a spear of oak that ended up as a 1.5x1/8" spliter about 2/3 of the up my foot behind the toes. It took a little X-acto knife and environmentally safe bleach (i.e. strong hydrogen peroxide - the reason why hippie bleach sucks) to remove it.

Oh and wenge spliters do suck.

20. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I have been working on a purpleheart neck and didn't really notice any splinters going in, but over the days, I will look at my hand and find little ones here and there that seem to be working their way out. It's wierd. I guess they really are quite sharp...

I already have plans to build a wenge/purpleheart necked instrument too... As much as I cut, splinter and bruise myself with woodworking, I still somehow manage to love it.

:meh: