the "Stairway" of Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by keltik, Sep 8, 2004.

1. keltik

Aug 17, 2004
    i thought about this last night and now i'm bored at work.....can any of you folks out there think of a song like the infamous "Stairway to Heaven" that all the freakos play on the bass of their dreams when they are at their favourite music store?.....i was thinking something like "Schism".....but i'm not that old and haven't been playing that long either.....just curious and bored :bassist:

p.s. i'm too lazy to search through almost 12,000 posts to see if anyone else had the same brain if it is a previous thread simply redirect but i would prefer input ;)
  2. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    It would have to be something classic, hmmmm.
  3. YYZ
    The opening notes to Crazy Train :bassist:
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I thik I've heard quite a few people playing the popping line to RHCP's version of "Higher Ground," but I usually try and tune them out....
  6. at my local guitar store, all the bassists seem to like to play swung 8th notes ala blues type songs, and others seem to play straight 8th notes ala punk-rock. and they like to look around to make sure that people are watching them!

7. the new one im hearing by "bassits" (guitarists that try to play bass, posers,etc) is schism by tool. they dont even like tool but they try to play it
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Anything slapped.
  9. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i pick up a 6 string bass and play the guitar part opening of sweet home alabama. i get some funny looks with that one.
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

(and i refuse to use "+1"! is this friggin' D+D?)
  11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    It used to be Barney Miller.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Anything slapped. Usually Higher Ground. Another frequent candidate is something by Primus.
  13. keltik

Aug 17, 2004
  14. Guilty as charged---and I really don't care for the Chili Peppers. :bassist:
  15. Odd thing is i barely even play a bass when im checking them out.

I'll hold it, eye the frets, action.. im pretty much looking over it.. play a note.. 5 notes .. 10 notes.. if you were to hear me play.. it sounds like im a complete new guy to bass.. but thats the way i check out basses..

PS. I can be wierd like that :D
  16. I usually mess around on the beatles or whatever im working on. To find out if a bass' neck is comfortable I usually play Bach's Prelude and I'll just mess around. If I see a hot chick walk by I'll try to spark interest to see if she likes tool by playing Schism or if someone has a band shirt on I'll try to play a line from the band to spark conversation.
  17. Also I play the beginning of Stuart Hamm's Country Music(a night in hell)---usually turns heads. :cool:
  18. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    here in the UK, the 'Stairway' of bass was the solo bass bit in Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain'... it was used for the theme music for the Formula 1 TV coverage and for years was the first thing UK bass players would learn to play :)

music shops up and down the country would reverberate to 'duuuunnnnn der der derrrr durdum durdle deee durrrrrrrrrr' etc :)

dunno what it is these days as I try to avoid music shops whenever possible and buy online if I can :bassist:
  19. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

That's what I do. I don't try to impress anyone. I doubt I will anyway. I basically put a bass through simple tests to see if it suits me. I also like to play a bass without an amp. For some reason a good bass sounds a certain way without an amp. I rareley even ask to plug one in. I also rarely shop for basses. :D
  20. I play 'The Chain' by Pink Floyd(i think it's pink floyd anyway, i may be wrong). It was used as the F1 theme tune and it's pretty good. I also play things like Deep Purple- Black Night, and some Thin Lizzy. Everyone knows the old tunes!