1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Stanley Clarke Spellcaster Stratobass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ProbablyTooLoud, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No

71 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    I want one.

Screenshot_20210222-190054_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210222-190109_Chrome.jpg

Tom Bomb and HaphAsSard like this.
  2. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    not even a little bit

it looks to me like a dollar-store toy accessory made by a company that doesn't know a guitar is not the same as a bass

3. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Looks well-made to me.
    And since it's made for bass players who want to solo like guitarists, I'd say mission accomplished.
    I want to plug it through a fuzzwah and make my neighbors call the cops.

StephnG, Tendril and ahbradot like this.
  4. JimmyThunder

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yeah as I typed that I knew I wasn't being real clear on "dollar-store". I don't mean it looks cheaply made. I mean it looks like it was designed by someone who is not very familiar with the item and put it together by looking at a few photos without understanding what the parts in each photo actually do. You see that a lot in dollar-store toys...guitars with a whammy bar sprouting out of a pickup, a construction vehicle with a bulldozer blade mounted to the hood, etc

MordBass likes this.
  5. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    So you're not buying their pitch that Stanley had input and the luthier on the site is legit huh. I haven't heard of him but his resume looks good.

6. JimmyThunder

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well no I didn't say any of that. I was saying it looks like it was put together by someone who doesn't understand design. Stanley may play the heck outta his bass, and the luthier he worked with may have been building guitars since the 70s, but that doesn't mean either one knows how to design a good-looking instrument.

Heck, bolting a (reverse thunderbird-esque) bass neck onto a strat body isn't even design...it's putting 2 parts together that were originally designed for different scales and sizes, without evolving either one to try and get them to blend aesthetically. It looks off-balance to me. A real risk when you're starting with something as iconic as the Stratocaster.

"just one man's opinion"

Volker Kirstein and mikeswals like this.
  7. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Yeah it is by definition a frankenbass, you're correct.

8. I quite like the idea of a Strat style bass. It looks really nice to me... until I get to the headstock, which isn't really working for me. The (IMO) ugly headstock wouldn't stop me from rocking this thing. The price tag would though :laugh:

9. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I voted no.
    Although I’m a fan of SC, saw him twice in concert, I don’t feel any G.A.S. or excitement for this bass. Nothing like looking at his Alembic.
    Definitely different. Reminds me a tad of the Fender Rascal which I do have G.A.S. for.

10. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Agreed.
    The headstock is... Unpleasant.

11. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Kinda like what Landing does.

M.R. Ogle and HaphAsSard like this.
  12. i would rock it...not for the "strat look" but for the pickup configuration and whammy bar. Tho it is novelty....I have a lefty neck on one of my p bass builds, when i just wanted a hendrix look, but i could take it or leave it now. I'd want the spellcaster to be full scale tho with tort guard, possibly a different color all together.

13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Stanley received some bad business advice...

nonohmic and nattiep like this.
  14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    I don’t like the concept. Hard pass.

15. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I'm not interested in getting one but I would like to hear Clarke play it.

16. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    I might be able to get into the body but the (reversed) bad headstock is just painful.

mikewalker and nattiep like this.
  17. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Well, considering strat players always complain about hitting that top volume knob, probably not. There doesn’t look like a lot of room to play between the bridge and the neck. Speaking of the neck, that headstock looks painful to tune. But hey, if it works for Stanley Clarke, I guess that’s all that matters considering it’s his signature bass.

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I've got a $50 Samick SS that will do the same, minus the trem. And looks better.

19. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I recently made a 30 inch scale bass that's based on a standard strat body (I used a Starcaster neck), and it's really comfortable to wear.

But the headstock on this Spellcaster is a DEAL KILLER for me :eek:

20. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I'd like it as a piccolo bass hooked up to a Helix or something like that.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021