Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the starting line bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancrosbie, May 3, 2005.

1. dancrosbie

dancrosbie

Apr 25, 2005
  2. The natural bodied bass with the tort guard?

If so, I think it's a Gibson Ripper. (but I could be mistaken)

3. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    i think it could be a gibson g3 looking at the shape of the headstock.

4. More importantly than the identity of the bass is the question of what happened to him. Jee Whiz. Those pics are horrendous. He turned into a scraggly, little scenester with chick hair. That right there is a shame. :rollno:

5. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah that's either a Gibson G3, or a Gibson Grabber.

6. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    can't see the pic - the site is blocked at work (grrrr!), but
    the g3 has 3 pickups and the grabber has one sliding pickup. both have the flying v type headstock. the ripper (L9-S) has 2 pickups and the traditional Gibson headstock.

7. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, you can't see the pickups in these pictures.

8. dancrosbie

dancrosbie

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks guys. Where can I buy one of these online and is it an old model?

9. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Those are vintage Gibson models...... you only can buy a used one these days. Check www.basspalace.com, they usualy have one or two for sale, or check ebay!!!!

Good luck!!!

10. It seems that ebay always has a selection of the vintage Gibsons for reasonable prices. I don't really know what they go for in vintage stores but for what I'd imagine the price would be, I think ebay is very reasonable.

11. Maybe I'm just biased, b/c I can't stand any band like them, but he doesn't look any worse than the 17 year old colorguard guy look he had going the last time we saw them...sorry if I offended anyone...

12. Oh not at all. They're not really my musical spiel either. I dunno, looking back on my post I sound like a jerk. Whatever, it's clothes and hair. I like his bass.

13. I saw them in Austin at the AP Magazing 25th Anniversery show, during SXSW. He had 2 Gibson Grabbers that he switched between, as the song warrented, different tunings is guess?. He had a sunburst one and (if memory serves) a cherry red one. He didn't play the natural one he had in that picture. They both sounded awesome.

BTW, they played their new album at that show, which isn't out yet, and imo it was really really good. It's a bit different from their old stuff.

14. dancrosbie

dancrosbie

Apr 25, 2005
    Are there any current bass guitars that are similar or sound similar to that Gibson?

15. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    They're G-3s. They headlined the all ages show at a venue in Des Moines not too long ago and we opened the 21+ show, so I was helping them get some stuff off the stage since their roadies were taking forever and we were wanting to set up.

16. Dirkje

Dirkje

Jan 6, 2006
    Kenny is playing a Gibson G3. It is actually a Grabber, but it has 3 ellements so it's a G3.
    Gibson made those from 1975 to 1983.
    I've got the same G3 Kenny has and it sounds absolutely amazing! Mine is from 1978.
    Never seen a bass with that sound and looks! :p
    They're pretty rare these days so good luck finding one!

17. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    well he used to use a gibson grabber, but I saw them in concert and he was using fender ps

and yes they are sucky band, sorry

18. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    He plays gibson g-3's a black, natural, sunburst, and candy red one. he used to only play fenders then he only used a fender on the song 'leaving' but i think has since used only gibsons. his har was good blond then awesome long/straight, but now its shaggy and dirty-looking :meh:

19. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Geez, this kid has been through more basses than I have. Lately, I've only seen Ken using a Gibson Grabber. He was playing one when I saw the Starting Line at Warped Tour this year, and in their latest videos. I've seen him use P-basses, Jazz basses, and Stingrays. :rolleyes:

20. fielden

fielden

Oct 15, 2005
    i saw them live this september just gone, and he was using gibson rippers