The state of "punk"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wakizashi, Jan 21, 2004.

1. wakizashi

Dec 5, 2003
    I cannot be the only one who is concerned about the state of "punk". It has been overrun by crap that is called punk rock but is not. The preppies seem to have taken over everywhere. It sucks:mad: ! Punk music used to chase them away but now it draws them in. It's become to melodic, to the point where little girls think it sounds pretty.:confused: I wasn't around during the time of punks holy three. But I understand what real punk is(not blink 182,Avril Lavigne,NFG,etc.)and listen to it.

What are your predictions of punk music's journey. Do you think street punk is gonna blow up. I find it hard to imagine Avril wannabes enjoying a Casualties concert but if it happens I won't be a bit surprised. I believe metal is the next to be invaded(it's already started).
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I think the state of punk is great! There are some great bands coming up (Black Eyes, Paint it Black, Against Me! This Bike is a Pipebomb the list goes on and on and on). A lot of punk rockers (at least the ones in my area) are becoming less conservative and are becoming more adventurous musically, and artistically.

So the punk aesthetic was commercialized, it was bound to happen. It just helps reinforce how silly a lot of the unspoken "rules" and "fashions" of punk were. In addition the bands that are part of this "neo-punk revival" were pretty crappy to begin with, so it's no loss to anyone. If Tina and Jerry from Old Caanan, CT want to spend $50 on a shirt that says "Punk rock girl" or something, on it; and if they want to spend $40 to see Good Charlotte, well, the joke is on them.

P.S: Street Punk will never grow up...that's why is it's street punk.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I hate to say it but the state of "punk" is just the same as it's always been. Punk has to constantly struggle with the fact that it's central ideals lead to it's own destruction.

If the whole idea of punk is being true to yourself and having a DIY ethic then having to constantly prove your punk credentials is a huge contradiction! There is so much concern over being "punk enough" that it's like living in China during the Cultural Revolution :rolleyes:

People asked this same question 25 years ago as the 70s punk movement gave way to more commercial "new wave". Then they asked it 15 years ago when "alternative rock" started to become the mainstream. It goes on and on and on and on and on...
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"real punks don't own computers"

As one who made a living off late 70's punk, (real punk), Dave. (formerly "Les Claypool"), nailed it on the head.

I would add - At least one major piece of your main gear must be "hot" (as in "stolen")......even better if you stole it yourself as did I. So, I guess if your PC is hot, that might be okay.

What I hear on the airwaves today now is mostly "Abercrombie & Fitch-punk" - bands that are fond of singing "yew-eee-ewww", "know-eww-wee-oh" and driving Beemers. Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Blink 182, and their ilk are all corporate puppets contrived by "the machine" to sell clothes, soda, athletic shoes, et al, IMO and that of music insiders.

Fr'instance, last night I had the misfortune of catching the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs on Jimmy Kimmel's show. The guitarist had absolutely nothing going on and Karen O. wouldn't make a poor pimple on Chrissie Hynde's behind, IMO. I can't tell what's worse with them - the writing or the performance. At least they have been honest to say, "We're sellouts...."

I'm not saying the real deal is dead, although "self-destruction" was one of the central punk philosophies. As brianrost alluded to, it is not a careful study of those who preceeded you and imitating them.

Fortunately, it still exists with bands like Bubble - check out any of their song samplings, especially, "I Hurt Myself" from their "Chapter 7" album @ (click on "NOIZ" for samples)
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Why are people complaining so much about the "punk" on the radio? If it's that bad, don't listen to it!

I haven't listened to the radio in 8 years, I watched MTV2 for a bit but I haven't watched MTV for 5 years, and I don't think I'll be watching VH1 either ever again. I make tapes or I get a CD adapter, anything. I don't feel the need to have my musical tastes affirmed by mainstream radio because I've found that 99.9999% of the time it's total crap and will continue being so for the forseeable future. One of the nicest things about America (and several other Western nations) is that if you don't like a TV show, Movie, or type of music. You don't have to watch/see/listen to it!!! Hallelujah!
  6. XlilmetalchickX

XlilmetalchickX Guest

Jan 13, 2004
    i dont agree with that the slightest bit.

"punk" is kinda a hard topic cause 1. a lot of it is all in the head, rather than in the music. meaning that its pretty much the way someone lives, or their personality. 2. because its being overrun by posers. (personal defination of poser (cause everyone's seems to be different): someone who pretends to be something or someone that they're not. someone who "poses" as something or someone else) because "punk" is the new "cool" thing to be. i think the movie SLC Punk kinda sums up my feelings about this. some things in it i dont agree with but most i do. (if you get a chance to see it, do it. funny movie) um, what else can i say. bands like good charlotte and simple plan (which are just horrible in my opinion) are the "new" "punk". i dunno. i'v never called myself punk or anything. for the most part i dont label myself, tho i'v been called "freak-ish" and "gothic" by some people. i dunno. k, i'm done.

please note all the " "'s cause their important

7. Man, being a loner really came in handy.
    I'm just the guy with the bass.
    Leave the politics for the others.
  8. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I usually don't get involved with this stuff, but i could not resist.

Punk is being whatever you want to be and DIY without giving a damn about what anyone thinks.....and that applies not just to music or a single style of music. It also involves a little nose-thumbing at established social codes.

Simply another label for another form of rock music. Punk is more a state of mind to me than a style of music.

A mowhawk doesn't make you punk, it makes you look Mohican.

Elvis was punk. Lenny Bruce was definitely punk. James Dean and Miles Davis were punk. OG, ya dig? Just another term for the same ol' rebellion. And of course The Ramones were punk.

The term "punk" has been around alot longer than the music. Considerably longer.

If a person has to ask what punk is, than they never understood in the first place.