Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Step From E-Bass 2 Upright??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mz91, Mar 21, 2003.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I am starting to listen to alot of music where the double bass is more and more apparent. And because i love jazz i am thinking of buying an upright? I have never played one or do i know the differences from uprights to normal electric basses????:confused: if anyone could explain to me the differences between the two types of basses and how the transition was for them when moving to the upright..thanks...

2. "the differences from upright to normal".....ummm....I hate to tell ya this dude, but the upright is normal, the bass guitar is the bastard son. Bass guitar = 52yo, Upright bass = 350yo.
    Anywho, I was playing BG in a swing band, and the leader said I had to play upright, so I bought one and was gigging in one week. I did'nt know squat, but 4-6 gigs a week for a few years kinda put me on the right path. That was 13 years ago, there aint those sort of gigs around any more...:bawl:

3. I started out on DB in middle school, then took up EB at a friends suggestion that "Paranoid" wasn't working w/ the DB :p

Anyway - the differences are to many to simply list - but be prepared for some sore hands, numb & blistered fingers & an awesome learning experience if you decide to stick with it!

I don't play as much DB as I used too - but I find if I don't play about 2-3 hours a week on it, the stamina & callouses go away fast.

Good luck on your journey! :cool:

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    The difference is enormous. For starters, getting a good sound out of a DB requires much more of a physical approach - one that can seriously ruin your upper body if you aren't careful.

I suggest that you take a lesson or two before you buy an upright - that way, you'll at least know the basics and know a lot more about how to tell a decent instrument from a total POS.