1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Sterling By MusicMan SUB Ray 4 and 5 Club!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBassmaster27, Apr 2, 2019.

1. I'm not sure if these clubs are even in style anymore. I'm in a few that are active so I thought I'd try. I own a black lefty SUB Ray 4. The bass is probably the best bass i own(not my favorite tho, that goes to my dean). I'll post a pic later on. If you have one, get a pic and then you'll get your number. I'll be #1. I'd love to see pics of this stuff, and any mods or stuff like that too.

Giffro likes this.
  2. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    CA4A84A3-9D47-49F4-AFF8-67C966B79E83.
    sub ray 5 !!!
    original pickup lowered for a bit less output and swapped the knobs for original chrome ernie ball ones !!! everything else is stock and working like it should ... really like it !!!

gsgbass and Giffro like this.
  3. GilmourD

GilmourD

Jul 11, 2010
    Rutherford, NJ
    I'm in!

About to drop a GFS Alnico MM pickup in it.

IMG_20190321_151807_475.

gsgbass, Giffro and BamaBird like this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Strange that there isn't one already.

5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Giffro and jd56hawk like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, easy to become confused by those non-confusing MM monikers!

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Original electronics ripped out. Full EMG system installed.

Giffro likes this.
  8. DWBass

jd56hawk likes this.
  9. This is the current list. I didn't know that another MM club existed, but this one can be different. Lets keep going!
    1. TheBassmaster27
    2. himluis
    3. GilmouD
    4. DWBass
    5. G19Tony

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Giffro and himluis1 like this.
  10. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don't have one yet, but it's on the list.

11. Alroight. You seem committed enough I'll add you.

12. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Really? How so?

13. Attached Files:

alaskaleftybass and Giffro like this.
  14. DWBass

More directed at the upper models. I recall the question was asked regarding the SUB models and while it wasn't a direct no, some hesitation was there.

15. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Don’t know about that. I’ve always found the club helpful and informative on all SBMM basses, the SUB included.

SteveCS likes this.
  16. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    I think you'll like the result; as a bonus, you can add a series/single/parallel switch (or push-pull pot). Here's what I did with my former SUB Ray4:
    IMG_0912.JPG

alaskaleftybass, Giffro and BamaBird like this.
  17. GilmourD

GilmourD

Jul 11, 2010
    Rutherford, NJ
    After receiving it and looking at the wiring diagram included with it I think I may need to modify the pickup a bit to get the normal parallel mode. It has the QuickKlip connector on it and from the description I'm assuming it's wired series by default, but I haven't hit it with my meter, yet, to see. Too many things going on outside of music. LOL

fermata likes this.
  18. DWBass

Could be. I haven’t been in that thread in quite a while.

19. I'm not a huge fan of the way the bass sounds. It's one of the best feeling basses I've played, but I mean, the pickup is half way between the chunkiness I like and the tin like ping sound I also like. probably something with the preamp. And maybe the pickup. I'ts the only bass I actually enjoy playing fingerstyle. I'm a huge pick player, mostly because of the sound I need. And when I started, I was a guitarist who needed to play bass fast. REAL fast. But over time, I've learned that certain things don't sound correct one way or the other. But this isn't the pick vs finger debate forum.

Giffro likes this.
  20. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Of course, as the low-end model, it’s only to be expected that it gets a little less attention. Still, I don’t feel that SUB owners are looked down on in any way, because let’s face it, it’s an awesome bass. :)

DWBass and Giffro like this.