1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The stingray i saw at my local guitar shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VictorLeMonteWooten, Jan 29, 2001.

1. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I saw a 90s musicman stingray at my local guitarshop for $750. It sounded great and it was a great bass besides the fact that it looked like it was ran over by a lawnmower. The side of the bass was choped up and the back was well shreded. It looks like some phyco killer started stabbing it with a butcher knife. It was way more severe than belt buckle wear. It almost made me cry to see such a cool bass that was abused and neglected. Someone like me could have adopted it and the poor thing wouldn't have to have such a cruel owner.

On the bright side i saw a cool g&l, a pre-cbs, and a resaphonic Dobro bass (damm, that thing was loud without and amp{i guess that was what they were designed for}).

2. 750$? Thats a LOT for a 'Ray in that condition! I bought my Sterling NEW from a private party for 750$, Never played! Yeah that was a deal.. check out Ebay, thats what I did ;) (if you want to find some deals.. yeyeyeah I could as well been ripped off totally I know.. But heye I didnt so Im happy!) :)

3. that bass might have been mine

4. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey VLeMW, how was the sound/tone of that Dobro bass? I never had a chance to play one, so got a Tacoma instead...-Santos

5. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    well, it was resophonic (i will never be able to spell that), that played a roll. It had a different sound then any bass i heard in my life, and it's not like i could compare it to a guitar (you know those screachy chunks of wood) because it is a bass. The shop overcharges for everything, but they have had a "up to 50% of all prices" sale for about 4 months. They are slowly going out of buisiness. They had a 400rb for $400, and that was at lease 5 years old. They had a 250 watt eden head with all knobs missing (the pots were still there) for $500. I saw a couple sitars. Pretty unusual instrument. I wondered how anyone could buy sitar strings.