1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Stink Eye didn't work. Gonna hafta talk to that keys player.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ekulati, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Well, continuing my earlier saga of the unbelievably loud mid 60s guy with his B3 Leslie blasting my ears out in a mid sized club...

So we played probably the nicest room in town Saturday, smaller "music only" venue, pro setup, soundman etc. where I THOUGHT we might have a chance at controlling that damn thing, but noooooooo...

Not to mention incessant left hand banging away in my real estate on the piano. So I just stared at that left hand. But it didn't work.

Guitar player/senior member, who also runs our sound put it all on me to talk to him. Only thing is, me by myself will likely be ignored. I mean what's the likelihood that a weekend warrior in his mid 60s is gonna change just because I ask him to? I really am not sure he even has hearing left and will even relate to the issue. But I'll ask anyway. "Is it possible to have lower keyboard volume onstage? And oh, when you're on piano, and you have a bass player..."

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I saw one band playing, where the piano was plugged directly into a small PA, and the PA was controlled by the bandleader on the other side of the stage. And this pianist has a reputation for playing loud. The bandleader basically took away the car keys, so to speak.

This can be a hard problem to solve, if someone really likes playing loud. About his left hand, tell him: "Play like you're wearing handcuffs."

3. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Sounds like the keys guy in my band. Last gig, he starts complaining that he can't hear the bass. Now, I use my amp just for stage volume and run it so everyone can hear me but let the PA handle the FOH. Everyone else is happy with my volume during sound check, so we go. He's sitting closer to my amp than I am, but he's playin so loud through his keys monitor and a Leslie he can't hear anything else. He tells to turn up and I tell him I'm not gonna screw up the FOH just because he's too effing loud. :sour:

4. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Don't waste your breath. He's not changing.

wmhill, Ampslut, David Jayne and 5 others like this.
  5. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Personally, I’d have the talk with him. If he flat out refuses to change I’d take it up with the band leader. Either he goes or I go. Simple.

lowplaces, Cheez, 210superair and 5 others like this.
  6. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Had a similar issue. I had the sound man roll off the bass eq on the keys. This won't help your stage sound but it made my bass hearable out front.

7. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Sounds to me like a guy with hearing problems. Only way to ‘get it fixed’ is going with in-ears mix.

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

I'm not a prima donna, I'm not looking to be the star, and I don't need the bass to be out front, but I don't spend time practicing, rehearsing and hauling my equipment to gigs just to be drown out by some clueless organ grinding monkey. Sometimes you have to put on your big boy pants, use your grown-up words and confront an offender - always in a civil manner.

9. DrSteve

DrSteve Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2008
    North Delaware
    Doesn’t hurt to talk to him. could be he’s played in bands where he had to cover the bass on keys. He may not realize he’s stepping on your toes.

BOOG and Cheez like this.
  10. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    We had similar problems until we switched to IEM. Before that I had set up a 8”+horn monitor facing away from me thinking how loud can that go? Answer: VERY LOUD! Couldn’t hear the rest of the band and that’s what prompted the switch to IEM.

newwavefrank likes this.
  11. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    This is why we use tracks for keys! Never late, never argues, never gets drunk, has no left hand. Oh and doesn't take up any space on stage!

12. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth

I would talk to him. After practice I would demonstrate where his left hand is overlapping with what you do as a bassist. I played for a church where the woman played without a bassist for six years before I came aboard. I realized that she was not being aware of where I needed space and we sat down and played some songs and I was able to show her that if her left hand hovered around middle C we could get along fine. Then I brought in my 5 string;)

Ekulati likes this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

here's my keyboard player:

one arm copy.

jjk2007, J Mon, MycooLeeyun and 13 others like this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

seriously: you have to communicate! good luck! :thumbsup:

chupacerveza, lat and Yellow Bang66 like this.
  15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Had that issue a couple years back. Dude was insistent on playing bass. I mean actually using bass patches on his keyboard. I bitched so much he ended up quitting. He had no intentions on stopping. A year later, drummer calls me and says the keyboard player is coming back and they are going in a different direction bass wise. I knew what it was. The bass player they got was the same guy I replaced. He was fed up too. That band is basically dead now.

Another time I did a gig with a guy who was heavy on the left hand. I gave up and actually stopped playing. Picked up some drum sticks and started to play percussion. Band didn't even skip a beat.

16. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Hi-pass his mains at 200Hz. leave his monitor full range. He'll never know.
    I'm assuming the B3 is thru the monitors cause Leslie cabinets are not very loud at all. Mute him in your monitor.

17. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Most keyboardists are good readers so I say, instead of hoping he will magically guess your intentions, write out the exact parts you want him to play. If you don't want him playing bass notes below middle C (or whatever), then notate exactly what you do want him to play.

BOOG and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  18. Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Exactly. Only difference is my guy is oblivious to whether he hears me or not. In his own world.

Yeah, all good ideas guys, this is really just a rant. I know what to do, although given the personalities etc. just not optimistic about results from just talking. Doesn't help that BL doesn't notice this...

As for IEMs, couple issues. We're kind of all dinosaurs, 6 of 8 of us are over 60. That plus we are (supposedly) an old school Soul/R&B band, with horn section, harp player, and of course B3 with Leslie. So...IEMs, maybe, but a long way off, for various reasons.

19. Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Hmm, au contraire... Not in monitors, the Leslie is on a stand right next to my rig, and it is piercingly loud. (Mic'd)

But also this is two separate yet related issues: 1, the Leslie blasting and 2, his left hand on piano.

chupacerveza likes this.
  20. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My philosophy as well. I play some keys in my band, alot with my feet (chords while playing bass to fill out the sound) and we discussed adding a keys player. I vetoed it and suggested using backing tracks. My previous band used them for keys and it was great. No schedule conflicts, opinions, ego, wants, needs, etc...

I know it doesnt help the OP at this point though.

mikewalker likes this.