The stock Carvin MM pickup, opinions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 4, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I remember reading scattered through out the board, varying opinions on the pickup. I wanted to get a good general response so I decided to make a thread dedicated just to it. (it's hard to get an accurate idea of sound in Carvin's jam room since all the sound clips were obviously recorded with brand new-right out of the pack strings)

So what do you think?

How does it par with a real MM pickup.

Any other comments?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, I like it pretty well. rickbass, for one, will tell you that he absolutely hates it. (That is, if he can be pried away from his cocobolo DP Custom long enough even to see this!;) ) So there are two widely divergent opinions right there.

Do a search and see what you come up with.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    It's been a while since I played a Stingray, but I've played a Carvin fairly recently. So I can't comment on the similarities, but I can tell you that I thought it sounded pretty good, with a solid, punchy sound. Ed Friedland told me that he thinks they sound a lot like the Stingray pup.
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I wonder why they dont wire it Series/Parallel/Single Coil
    Or Coil1/Parallel/Coil2 ala Lakland
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yep, no one knows Carvins like Ed Friedland.

Well, except maybe the dude that runs the Carvin online musuem. :)

p.s. did you get your avatar from bunny bass?
  6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought a Carvin 5-string MM pickup for a homemade fretless, and it sounded awful. It had such low output that I took it to a tech, and he said it had very low output. I wanted to use passive, though, which I don't think it is really made for. I ended up buying Gotoh 5-string humbuckers from Stew-Mac and they sound awesome.
  7. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I dunno, I have the MM style bridge pickup (HB5W) in my Carvin LB75P, and it's awesome. I'm currently swapping out my neck PUP with a Bart 59J, but that's just an experiment, so I couldn't really characterize it as changing it because the OEM one sucked, or anything....

As usual, YMMV..... :)
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I liked the Carvin. It wasn't exactly like an MM, but it was pretty good. I could live w/ one.
  9. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I had a Carvin LB70 with the Carvin "MM" style pickup and I must say that IMHO it was crap. There was no meat to the tone and it sounded nothing like a real MM. It can easily be replaced with a Basslines ceramic MM pickup (which is what I did....and at the same time had the switch wired for parallel/single/SERIES modes). The Basslines pickup had a lot more bite and meat and a broader tonal spectrum and is a direct drop in replacement, but the carvin preamp is still not that great. I eventually sold the Carvin as I saw the light on other basses (G&L to be exact) and also I got tired of dealing with crappy carvin customer service on my R600 amp I had (many problems and 3 different times in 1 year shipping back to them for repairs done very slowly) so I sold all my carvin gear and haven't looked back.

Some people like them, some don't.