1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the stolen bass support group thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FrigginChris, Mar 15, 2008.

1. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    last night i was jamming with some friends at a party, I set my ibanez sr405 that i've had for 5 of the 8 years i've been playing into it's case, stick it to where i thought was a safe place, go have a few drinks, and when it's time for me to gather my stuff up to leave it's gone! i know it's not the most valuable pice of equipment but every gig i've had has been played with that bass :bawl:

on the bright side i finally have an excuse to pick up a new stingray 5, i was saving to get a 4 string version but i need a 5 string for my current band so i'll have to shell out the extra cash.

i made a trip to GC tried one out that was hanging on the wall and i would have bought it right there if it wasn't black (i'm growing tired of black finishes) and if it wasn't dinged up the wazoo.

the last step is to track one down in one of the colors i want and pull the trigger.:bassist:

does anyone else have any stolen bass stories?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yup, there is a whole forum section for them. ;)
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your bass. I absolutely hate to hear stories like this.

3. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    haha uh oh.

i'm usually search before i make new threads i swear!:D

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Chris, there are lots of great SR5's for sale used, on both the classifieds here on talkbass, and on the EBMM classifieds. Lots of great colors too.

GC is just too plain...

5. HeebeeJB

HeebeeJB

Jun 5, 2007
    Washington UK
    I dont know how someone could even play an instrument they know is stolen!.
    Insurance is a good idea if you can afford it. If you have home insurance you can usually get your gear added for a small amount. Some will even include travel to friends ect for non profesionals.
    When Gigging though the golden rule is...someone always stays with the gear, and sober too. And I mean stays with it. right beside the stage. Even if the room gets locked after an early sound check get locked in with it ( Take sandwiches and a book) To me its part of the gig. The van NEVER gets left unattended even outside your own home. I have heard of guys having gear stolen while loading or unloading outside their own house.
    Never let anyone near your gear at a gig , they may appear lovely and genuine, could be just casing out your gear. I worked for a music collective for 20 years . Nothing ever got stolen, because nothing was ever left unattended. Its sad...but its the only way!

6. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    agreed, but they are the only store near me that actually had an sr5 in stock for me to test drive, it was also the first time a GC setup was actually right for me, it was almost scary

I was already inquiring about a pacific blue burst sr4 at bass central and they really went above and beyond what i was expecting, even so much as to call the factory, and if i acted soon enough, change the specs of a bass that hadn't hit production so i wouldn't have to wait 8 months to get it. i hadn't went ahead with that yet so i shot another email over to grasshopper about an sr5 so we'll see what happens. I'm going to wait till i hear back from him before i check out the classifieds.

i'm just not happy about being bassless for the time being :bawl:

oh i'm totally with you. i was away from the area all of about ten minutes, and i thought the guitarist was watching things... guess not. i had went to grab a coke, chatted with a friend for a few minutes, got another one and it was gone.