1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Stone age

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by hvacfreak, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvacfreak

hvacfreak

Feb 12, 2004
    I refer ( no pun intended , lol ) to the 80's as " The Stone Age" ( no pun intended , again ) . I kinda stopped playing in like 92 or 93 ( 12 years or so total). My band played aprox 150 gigs a year playing originals / heavy covers. It's been awhile , but I have started playing again.
    I saw a closed post about " shred" and remembered how I was always waiting for the latest Shrapnel Records release , Racer-X , Tony MacAlpine , whatever. I don't agree with that whole conversation as far as speed being " shred". We used to listen to SRV and say , " Wow , that guy shreds , when he just got finished playing like 4 notes in 12 measures , lol. I feel it's as much note selection and having been played with a higher degree of skill than having been played fast.
    Someone asked about essential Sheehan , check out " Elephant Gun" DLR Eat Em and Smile , Greg Howe ( self titled ) , and the entire DLR " Skyscraper" album. OWNAGE
    Also , check out Yngwie Malmsteen( yeah , I know he got big , lol ) " Trilogy Suite Op :5 " on the " Trilogy " album. It is some fast bass , but it " shreds" cause of the notes played.

later

2. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Welcome!! To Talkbass and back to bass!! -Luke

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I uh... don't get it.