Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Stones might get shut down in Boston

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Aug 19, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Rumor has it, that at the Stones concert at Fenway Park, there will be cops walking around with hand-held decibel meters.

I just heard some totally outrageous number, like 70 dB, beyond which they're not allowed to go.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...e_from_rolling_stones_concert_to_be_measured/

As I recall, Deep Purple was "louder than a jet plane at takeoff", and the loudest show I ever heard was UFO in Chicago, after which my ears were ringing for three days or so.... :D

What do you think?

2. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    In the article it said the police will be monitoring the sound on surrounding streets. The concert should still be pretty loud inside the stadium. They probably just don't want to too noisy in the rest of the area surrounding Fenway.

Vince

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    While the police officers are walking around measuring noise levels, people will be in other parts of town selling drugs, speeding, drunk driving, and violating other laws. Niiiiccccceeee. A good gesture on the cities part, but seems to me like they should worry more about other matters.

-Mike

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    +1
    it'll be hard to break 70db in surrounding areas.

thank god.
    i thought they meant inside the stadium.
    btw stadium concerts are no bueno.

5. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Hey Mike,

Ya gotta know and understand the locals in the area to appreciate the news story. These are the same people who complained when vendors were allowed to sell food, etc ... outside of Fenway. These are the same people who complain that the Sox playing in the post season only prolongs their anguish at having to deal with the hordes of people attending the games. I mean, it wasn't like the stadium was built after these people were born and moved into the area :rollno:

After the invasion of the Parrotheads a couple of years ago, I'm surprised that there are any other concerts allowed in the park. You should have heard all the whining - it was louder than the show itself.

R (formerly of Framingham, MA and bigtime Sox fan)

6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    All concerts held at Yankee Stadium are better.

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ha - does anyone remember the old days? When you had stuff like the Rainbow Festival, where ten bands cost you ten bucks? Now, the Stones are charging anywhere from 55 to 350 bucks a ticket, and that's for a stadium seat god-knows-where, and you still have to deal with the city. Man.... things aren't like they used to be, in rock 'n' roll. Now you actually have to be "nice" to play.... :D

8. $1200.00 to get a nice seat. :meh:

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    For real, eh? Cops walking around monitoring sound levels at your local Enormodome - gestapo tactics I say, hehe.

tangent: It's not important but was that Carly Simon song 'You're So Vain' really about Mick Jagger (even though he sang backup vocals on it)?

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    He's one of the people who it's believed to be about, there are a few others that I don't remember the names of; she hasn't officially revealed who it's about, everything is just rumors.

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    70 Db? At a rockconcert? Riiight. :rolleyes:

12. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    my first concert i saw was Pat Travers and Bue Oyster Cult at swing auditorium san bernardino, ca. cost me $7.50 would not pay the outrageous prices they ask for tickets nowadays.

13. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Hmm, well i live in Boston,
    so there is no credible news of decible meters being used. And even if they are, of course the decible meter is not being used INSIDE the stadium...duh.
    As for the comments about residents in the area, yes the residents knew they were living next to a stadium but it was never permitted for concerts until most recently. Concerts tend to be louder than even the occassional grand slam home run response.
    And decible meters are common in Boston. As a former part time street musician, there is no fee to play, for example in the subway system, but there is a monitoring of people being overly loud, which imho is a good thing, becuase one jerk musician can ruin it for all the others. I dont know of any big sound leve issues with Boston, the city is pretty good about concerts in public places and very open to street musicians as well.
    In any case therese too much money involved in this concert (Ameriquest is allowing Arnold S. to sell box seats for $100,000 each seat) for this thing to not happen.

14. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What? Where'd you hear that? I'm curious now, please provide some links or something....

Is Ameriquest one of the sponsors of Fenway, or what?

I've never "ever" heard a price like that, even for whole private suites.

To my knowledge, corporations might pay somewhere around ten thousand bucks for a room that might hold somewhere between 20 and 30 people, and then they get food, and perhaps even some hawt waitresses.

Is that for real, or are you just making it up? If it's for real, I want to know, 'cause I'm in Ahnuld's neck o' the woods over here, and you can be darn sure I'll raise that issue up into the high ranks of the party - but this is the first I've heard about it. And I haven't been able to verify it anywhere else.