Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Straight Dope on Eden...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steven Green, Dec 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I just got off the phone with Judy Nordschow...

1) Eden is "not fully out of business", but they have had a large layoff and things are slow.

2) Replacement speakers "should be" available

3) Cabinets/Amps "should be" available

I called her at home, since every voice-mailbox was full at Eden Electronics...that was kinda awkward!
    :eek:

2. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    What's their problem? They seem to be the most popular bass amp producers in the world (on a professional level) so what the heck is wrong?

3. Probably the same thing that happened to Alesis. Spend more than you make.

4. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Any word on warranties? I have a speaker cab in desparate need of a warranty repair!!

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Damn,

I just hope that whatever happens, they end up alright. It would suck to see such a great company dissapear, especially when they were comming out with all this new gear.....

:(

Peace
    Nick

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Truly scary. I hope they bounce back. I have just seen the light!:D

7. Lots of excellent manufacturers have come and gone over the years. Sunn, Kustom, Acoustic, etc, etc. Ampeg almost went under with their various owners over the years. And look at MARS.

Seems like an entrepreneur with a good idea will start the business and get things rolling, but without good business sense, suddenly things get out of control. Debts mount and nobody can figure out where the money has gone..then a beancounter will come in to manage the operation to "save" it, but most accountants don't know know squat about music or musicians, so the company winds up folding. Let's hope this isn't the case with Eden.

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    without knowing what is really going on, it's hard to speculate on cause, etc...just suffice to say it would be a shame for something like this to happen to a company which is regarded so highly by so many.
    We don't all want to play the same thing, or use the same gear, it's nice to have the variety---hopefully it's just an urban myth!

9. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    The only person I've seen spreading this rumor around here is Warwickbass, and he already admitted that it was a mistake and apologized.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why would you even *THINK* of blaming the accountant?:mad: I mean, if an entrepreneur can't run his or her own business, how is it a hired-hand's fault?

Most accountants help run businesses, not drive them into the ground. And, if an accountant makes a suggestion, it's up to the entrepreneur to take that advice or not.

Bad businesspeople are bad businesspeople. If they can't run a business, it's their own damned fault!;)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I hedged my bets today and ordered a WT-800 instead of the WT-550.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Are you by any chance an acountant?

;)

Peace
    Nick

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's surprising, but remember Trace Elliot went belly-up too, and they used to steadily recieve rave reviews in Bass Player and like. Hey, maybe if they do go out, their inventory might actually reduce in price, like Trace did at Musician's friend. And Eden inventory could definitely go down in price.

That's what I was thinking :)

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I know what you are saying, but Id still hate to see such a great company go.

Besides, I was really looking forward to seeing more of their XST line and the WT-550. Lets not forget the D-112XLT which was supposed to be comming out sometime soon.

Peace
    Nick

15. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    well they deffinately didn't piss all their money away investing in a cool website...

16. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I'm gonna have to agree with that!:D

17. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Steven Green,

Thanks for clearing up the rumours. Although it's not good news, at least it's not the worst case scenario as we were earlier lead to believe.

Looking back over the historical threads, this is the second time for the "Eden is going out of business" thread.

18. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    But truth is that they are late two months with their first delivery in Croatia. Maybe it's not important for them but there are lot of eden customers here that are dissapointed for waiting their equipment so long.

19. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    They?? Do you know for certain that it is Eden's fault for the shipment being late? It could be because of many factors that have nothing to do with the company.

20. Sloan

Sloan

Feb 25, 2002
    I have watched many bass amp and bass guitar companies come and go over the years. The one's that go are the one's that impose the heaviest pricing restrictions on their dealers in an attempt to keep prices higher.
    Most gear ends up selling at about 65% of retail give or take. Eden insisted that 90% of retail was the selling price and punished dealers for selling for less. They have succeeded in pricing themselves out of the market.

This is a great idea for the dealer and the manufacturer but it just does not work. There are always manufacturers making a similar product at a lower price.

We all want a BMW at a VW price and the manufacturer that gets close to that, makes the sale.

Long live the free market and competition.
    RV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.