Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The strangest 9v battery question ever, or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Obsolex, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok, I just got my new Ibanez SR3005 bass about a month or two ago. And its my first bass where i have to change its 9v battery. And I tried to change it once just for fun (my original battery still is fine) but when i did try to change it, i used a durecell (?don't know spelling), and it didnt fit when i closed the little compartment. it came with a fujitsu. should i just use those? help plz :mad: :D

2. the duracell should fit unless there is a conspiracy from Ibanez to force people using those other batteries. Check well what's wrong. Don't both of them have the same dimensions??

3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    i don't know, i guess not, not when i put both in, the duracell i have to apply a tiny bit of pressure (not much AT ALL) and the fujitsu slips right in...?

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Believe it or not, I have noticed small size differences in different brands. Usually it doesn't matter, but occasionally you get a battery compartment that is just barely big enough. The slightly oversized brands will not fit into those.

5. Duracell is the best IMO, make it fit. Forget the battery cover just use some duct tape.

No I am not serious

6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    man, thats lame. they should make all the batteries the same sizes. im glad i know that for the future and for when i star to to gigs and stuff. f the world was going to end, and we had to press a button, but the 9v battery wouldnt fit, that would suck. lolz. damn duracell, lolz.:eek: :D

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Well, that is where the active/passive switch comes in handy. ;)

I don't really think it is the battery manufacturers fault. I think the compartment manufacturers sure should allow for a little variation in battery size. It is normal to expect some variation.

8. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I've noticed problems with different sized 9v batteries on acoustic guitars, but in an opposite way: Some are smaller and therefore don't make a good contact because they bounce around in the battery compartment.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have an Ibanez and it takes all 9v battery brands equally well. You've probably got a small wire in the way or something just as simple.

For the record, I use normally Energizers (last longer than Duracell).

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What are you basing that opinion on? I'm trying to make that choice myself, and mostly I hear to go with the Duracells...what makes you say Energizer?

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I base that opinion of trial and error. I've tried just about every battery brand available, including re-chargables, and decided that Energizers last longest in both my basses (Ibanez and Stingray). Duracell would come in second, then daylight. Actually the daylight is so big I wouldn't even use anything else. Some batteries didn't even last the duration of a gig.

I got my Stingray in early November 2002. The first thing I did was pull out the standard battery and put in a Energizer. 3 months later and that battery is still strong enough to sting the tip of my tongue. And I play that bass a lot.........

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Thanks for the input Petebass!

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey kinda off topic but i have fopund that those sony brand works great! I work at a music store and we need to replace batteries like i change underpants! I have found that those sony batts last forever!

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
  15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hmm personally, I have better luck with all forms of Duracell as opposed to energizer. Energizers die on me left adn right and i ahve had the same duracell in my bass for a good 4 months. I don't bother using anythign but Duracells in my deals..nothin else works for a decent amount of time. Maybe tehre is some odd chemical reason why some batteries work better in different bases???:confused:

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I use the Energizer E2 batteries in my pilot + 5 & ashbory. The pilot is my main bass, it gets 2-5hrs a day of playing time 6 days a week. So far i've gone up to 6 months without noticing a change in tone. However, i try to change them every 6 months [except the ashbory-don't play it enough] to be sure that i have a good battery in there. The battery cover on the pilot is a tight/weird fit so i have to pry it off w/a screw driver each time i want to change it. Once the Ray 5 gets here i plan keeping the stock battery for a while & then putting in E2s. Thats all

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's a lot to love about the Stingray 5, but you'll definitely love the battery compartment - no screwdrivers needed - it just flips out. It takes about 5 seconds flat to change the battery.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Could just be that the original battery that was in the bass has had it's contact sleeves "stretched" out a bit by some slightly oversize male contact points on the bass. Maybe that's why it slips right on and you should just give the Duracell more oomph.

brad cook

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've heard many bassists and guitarists say that Duracells drain out on them quicker than other batteries and this has also been my experience. There's definitely something different with the Duracells too because when the battery runs out on Energizers or other batteries the sound just stops, but when it runs out on the duracells the sound continues but turns into this farty distorted sound. Freaked me out the first time it ever happened...I thought I'd blown my amp.

That same thing happened to Norm Stockton's MTD when I went to his clinic in Dallas. He said the Duracell's were really new and they were farting out until he changed the batteries.

I've had the best results hands down with the Energizer E2 batteries. I've used regular Energizers too but that was a long time ago and I can't really remember how long they lasted. Have you tried the E2's?

brad cook

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have had great luck with Energizers in the past. I have also experienced the 'farting' with a dying Duracell. My Zon did that one night at church. Thought that the preamp had died!

I've been using the E2's for a year, and haven't replaced one yet.