Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Streets!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hateater, Mar 25, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    How many of you TBer's lsiten to The Streets? If you are not familiar, it is pretty much just a Brittish dude rapping. At first I just thought it was funny, but lately it has been all i can listen to!

Mind you, this is the first rap album I have listened to in about 2 or 3 years.

Come one, I know that someone else here has the dirty secret that they enjoy rap...

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey I have been listening to rap alot lately.
    Jurassic 5 is really really good. As well as N.E.R.D.

I don't like a lot of the mainstream rap out right now.

3. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Then you owe it to yourself to check out The Streets...

4. I've heard of the Streets; piracy, I know, but I downloaded their song "Don't Mug Yourself" a few weeks back and thought it was one of the funniest songs of all time. Maybe not what it was supposed to be, but nonetheless I laughed all the way through it.

Another good song is Danger! High Voltage! by Electric Six. If you get to see the film clip, make sure you watch all of it; it's the greatest clip out at the moment (here in Australia). Anyone who has seen it already would probably agree with me.

PS Are we allowed to talk about music in this forum?

:bassist: Nathaniel.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I heard about it in the context of a News programme, where they were talking about how a record got into the charts that was made in somebody's bedroom, while he was working in McDonalds flipping Burgers to finance it!

That was the Streets - then they played the record and it was truly awful - the worst thing I have heard in many years!! :spit:

My thoughts were - that's why we don't need people making records in their bedroom and "don't give up your dayjob"

I can't begin to describe how much I loathed this record - so for me, it embodies the very worst about how low current "yob" culture in Britain has sunk - glorification of stupidity and lack of education. :(

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hey hey! I resemble that remark!!

Not all of us who make records in our bedroom are like that!!

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    BTW...

[​IMG]

Is it really that difficult to grasp?!? :D

8. I saw him do one on Top Of The Pops.... it sounded truly awful. No tune, a rhythm that wasn't up to much, bad rhymes. Not a touch on some of the better rappers (like Eminem, even).

And;

PS; Moley, you just like using that pic, don't you? You should start doing some jazzy versions, or maybe have some subliminal messages ("moley is king" ?) in it......;)

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm, now that's a good idea...

10. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    TESTIFY! It's appalling, its not music, it's some gimp talking over the sound of ringing telephones and a repreated drum beat.

11. Round here, they get called "neds" - "non-educated delinquents"...........

12. Can I get an amen to that ?

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So it seems there is a consensus that it was as bad I thought - I've only heard them once and that was enough, but couldn't remember details - thanks for reminding me why I should avoid them at all costs. ;)

I liked :

"Round here, they get called "neds" - "non-educated delinquents"..........."

Nice one!! :)

14. I listen to the Seasame Street song.

Sunny days.....

:D:D:D:D

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

15. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Good stuff. I like what I've heard, though it is a bit of an acquired taste.

16. Yeah i agree...it's an acquired taste...but i do actually like some of their songs, The Irony Of It All is great as is Don't Mug Yourself. I dont like all of them, that Let's Push Things Forward aint too good.

17. Everybody calls 'em that, from the city officials to the average Joe.

So the front-page headline of the Evening News a couple of weeks ago; "City Police To Crack Down On Young Neds".

I'm not sure if I should be amazed, supportive, shocked, or what.

18. when I heard comedy act "Pitman" on the radio, I could have sworn it was The Streets:D

(Pitman is a Northern miner rapper, who does parody versions of rap records eg. "witness the Pitness")

I can't believe the NME hype over The Streets.....well, actually I can, after the hype over the White Stripes, QOTSA, The Strokes etc.......

19. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    are they the ones that look like a young Mr Beans?

20. odie

odie Supporting Member

MUSIC!!!!

MUSIC!!!

MUSIC!!!

MUSIC!!!!