1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

the strings of the "Berliner Filharmoniker" bass section

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by elmer, Jan 5, 2012.

1. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    I was fortunate to hear and see this great orchestra conducted by sir Simon Rattle in the end of December in Berlin. Here has been some discussion about their bass section´s string choises. So here´s what I saw;

Their 1st solo bass mr. Janne Saksala had Pirasto Original Flat Chromes and an Obligato G string on his (Amati?) 5 string bass. 2nd solo bass mr. Esko Laine (both from Finland by the way :) had all Thomastik Bel Cantos.
    I saw six basses from eight closely and interestingly half of them had Original Flat Chromes and the other half had Belcantos on.

What a wonderful New years concert it was. The Firebird by Stravinsky was a breathtaking performance.

2. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    There was a time when tuned down solo strings were the rule over there. Did you talk to any players and/or know if they were regular orchestra strings?

Glad the concert was great.

3. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Judging from the silks (and thickness and sound) they were all orchestra gauge.

4. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's awesome you got to see the Berlin Phil. They're playing Carnegie Hall in February but it's a subscription series. I'll still try to see if there were any cancellations, or maybe ask people who leave midway for their stubs..