The strokes.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 16, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I was listening to juicebox the other day and the main riff sounds really cool.

does anyone know what bass he plays in the video? looks kinda like a flea bass or something.

I saw a live video of him with a jazz aswell. anyone know how to get a sound like that? my band might be covering juicebox.

2. I havent seen the video in yonks but I think i remember it being a music man? Don't quote me on that.

Very good bassist tho, too bad about his illness.
  3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I got a quick glance of it at the beginning of the video, it had a MM style pickup at the bridge. and the body shape looked differance to the normal MM (might just be me being weird) so I assumed it was a flea bass.

guess im wrong since I just watched it again and it definatly has a MM style pickguard
  4. looks like a stingray or sterling in the video,
    but it sounds like a jazz on the record.
  5. Definitely a sterling in the video. Smaller body and no Chrome around the controls. It's a tune as well :)
  6. screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    He plays a couple of Fender Js live
  7. gfunk 121

gfunk 121

Apr 16, 2004
    the guy is taking lesson from the same teacher as i do.let me me know what you wanna know i find out for you.
  8. MBRVMasterTone4

Jul 13, 2007
    I want to know the exact bass (with pick or without it) & pedals he used on that one if it's not too much to ask.
  9. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Great bass player, great band. Love those guys:bassist:
  10. I know he records only with one jazz bass, to me that track sounds like the neck pickup with a bit of overdrive, maybe from a tube head.
  11. HashbrownCOBM

May 6, 2008
    Why do such clearly barely mediocre bands get so much attention? These dudes are barely better than a garage band. I'm not trying to call anyones musical taste into judgement but any time I see that bands name I get infuriated. It's my problem.
  12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Totally underrated band/bassplayer. Too bad that hit "Last Night" got so played a few years back. They have amazing albums from start to finish - especially First Impressions of Earth

13. MBRVMasterTone4

Jul 13, 2007
    Someone doesn't have to be a Victor Wooten to make a good record... You should know better.
  14. Do you rate bands on the number of notes per second they play?
    Don't forget this is pop music, as for the garage sound, it's what makes the charm of this band.

It's ok you don't like a band or genre but dissing music you don't like is another thing.
  15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Ha, that's what I mean. He's probably only heard "Last Night" on the radio and is making judgments from there...:rollno:

Oh wait, I just made a judgment...:meh:
  16. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Nah, it's also my problem.
  17. anonymous073020131

anonymous073020131 Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    back on topic...when I play juicebox, i boost the bass and highs, and cut the treble. use the bridge pickup and turn up the tone volume all the way (for a fender jazz, at least). a little bit of gain doesnt hurt either;)

but yeah, nikolai is a great bassist, and the strokes are a great band. he has some cool bass work in red light- anyone heard that tune?