Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Strokes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whiteshadow, Jul 25, 2002.

1. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    Recently, the band canceled a show in Columbus, Ohio because the singer hurt his knee. Couldn't he just sit down or something? Could someone explain this to me?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

He couldn't put on a good stage show.

When your instrumental skill level is that primitive, all you]ve got to offer is your show :D

3. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    i was under the impression he couldn't move...

4. If he got off the dope,
    he wouldn't be trippin' all over the place.

It's all very Punk.

And quite refreshing with all the over-produced garbage on the air now-a-days.

I'd rather have my garbage under-produced and fresh from the garage.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Perhaps he was supposed to be playing pedal steel that night.

6. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I feel like the Stokes are savvily overproduced to sound like they're fresh out of the garage, tho'...

Good music, don't get me wrong, but they strike me as having a certain premeditated rawness that leaves me longing for more...or less... ;)

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    When someone believe in their art (and I use the term loosely), they want to give it all they've got, especially when they're sharing it with the people who made them famous in the first place.

Giving people less than 100% migh feel like they're cheating the public and they'd rather not perform than feel that they're cheating their public or diminishing their art.

Either that or they thought it was a crappy gig. You decide.

8. rickbass

Punk was "honest." These guys are carefully contrived by conniving A&R execs. They're about as authentic as Cher or The White Stripes.

Someone with true "punk" sensibilities would have gone on with the show in a wheel chair. That's about the message and the music. Not so with these guys nor B. Spears.

But if you fall for it and enjoy it, that's cool. Their purpose is entertainment and they use the same playbook as N'Synch....except N'Synch didn't have the rich daddies who hooked up and got their boys a record contract like the Strokes daddies did. I guess they felt a hurt knee would have screwed up the show, because the music is just secondary for them. I imagine their handlers knew what the best decision was.

Take my comments with a grain of salt. I actually like Korn's "Untouchables" - it sounds to me like what music should sound like in one of the scariest places on earth in 2002 - L.A....

9. I know Strokes singer Julian Casablancas is the son of Elite Models boss John Casablancas (a good reason for every male to hate them:mad::D), who are the other famous/rich Strokes dads?

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If they were hardcore,, he could have played sitting in a chair!! Ozzy,, Metallicca and Les Claypool have all played gigs injured,, James hetfield was badly burned and a roadie had to play guitar!!

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I find the Strokes boring and overproduced for the lousy band they are. The only reason they're 'hot' is because of the hype of some trend magazines. Go see "Scandinavian action rock" bands like Flaming Sideburns or Hellacopters if you want good show AND good music.

Oh, and talking about punk, I think Manifesto Jukebox is launching their EU/US tour with some other bands, they're pretty cool so go check them out if you can!

[Edit:Japan/US tourdates here. ]

12. rickbass

Albert Hammond Sr. was/is the one who had the connections within the music industry to use for his son's band. He had some hit singles in the 70's and wrote hits for Leo Sayer, Rod Stewart and Barbra Streisand.

Here's some illuminating quotes from one of the Strokes who remained anonymous for the interview he did while drunk in a bar;

"Our Daddies bought the best PR money could buy and got us into all the right fashion magazines before we'd really even played any shows. I mean, you don't just get write ups in Rolling Stone when all you have is a demo tape. After that, the pockets of wannabe chic pseudo indie dickpigs here and there really got behind us. It kind of snowballed from there. We're all still really stoked on the fact that good looking people like our band. I wouldn't know what to do if ugly people liked us."

After we got 2 million dollars from the record company, we got to go on tour! I never knew going on tour was this easy! It's great! You get to ride around in a bus and watch silly kids buy our t-shirts for 30 bucks. Brilliant! I always heard all these bands complaining about touring, but to me traveling on a plush bus is pretty natural for me, seeing as how I spent most of my childhood in a limo. You get used to being driven around

We're gonna keep playing clubs to maintain the hip cred we've meticulously fabricated. I mean, I guess we could start playing bigger venues, but who wants to watch a bunch of posers playing guitars nipple high stand in one place for an hour and a half in a big arena or something?"
    - from the "Buddyhead" interview.

When drunk, the guy was pretty honest. But what they hey? A lot of people fell prey to The Monkees.

13. :rolleyes:

rickbass, come on now. it's quite clear that the buddyhead interviews are satire. read the fred durst one, fer cryin' out loud.

as far as i know, the strokes never claimed to be "punk" and they play some great songs. i don't see how they, or the white stripes, are not "authentic." people that insult them in this fashion are usually just pompous backlashers who hate anything that's popular.

14. I like their songs because even though they have a a '60s-'70s vibe, I don't think they sound a whole bunch like The Velvet Underground or any of those other bands around that era. And I love the harmonies in the guitars, how they're arranged and all that. The bass player seems competent, I give him credit for playing a line like "Is This It" which is a pretty unique line if you ask me. Their drummer bugs me because he holds them back a lot as far as talent goes. It's hard to make good music with a drummer who plays the same simple, repetitive beat over and over. Their singer is okay, nothing to write home about, but his voice does fit the style of music they play, plus he writes all the songs. I just have their "Modern Age" EP and haven't really had the desire to buy the full album, but it's a pretty good EP. That's my opinion, anyways.

15. rickbass

That's part of the beauty - being an indie label, they have the inside skinny on these types of posers. As such, Buddyhead can't get sued for libel or slander because they mix truth with satire.

If you think the Durst interview is far from the truth, you need to find out how accurate the satire is. Believe me - with all of little Freddy's bile, he would have had them in court in short order if there wasn't truth in their treatment of him.

I have nothing against fame that's earned and deserved - a band like Mohair or The Hives, for instance, like them or not.
    In spite of those examples, being on the scene for years and paying dues doesn't necessarily mean I can't enjoy a good band that hasn't been around long.

But I do have something against talentless, fret-phobic, formulations who are the slaves of the 7 Nazis who control the major labels/big radio/MTV & VH1. The 7 behemoths scratch each others' backs to ensure young people listen to the "right" CD's, use the "right" cell phones, drink the "right" beverages, wear the "right" clothes, and drive the "right cars. The 7 are;

-AOL Time Warner
    -Viacom
    -Bertelsmann
    -Vivendi
    -News Corp
    -Disney
    -Sony

I think "Alternative UK" came close to hitting it on the head for me;

"The Strokes’ debut record ‘Is This It’ was regaled as a classic weeks before it’s release, critics swooned, magazine covers fawned and the music buying public held their breath for the arrival of their new messiahs. The hype machine was in full effect. Then they came, they played and they made me yawn.

My initial impression of this record was lukewarm to say the least with each track a crude patchwork of mainly Lou Reed, Blondie and Iggy Pop/The Stooges soundbites but without any of the urgency, energy or excitement that any one of those acts had in spades. The Strokes mainly come off as the so-called New York underground’s answer to Lenny Kravitz. They can posture, they can play but they can’t seem to be able to mean a damned thing. ‘New York City Cops’, for example, as a track is as empty as they come with the stark revelation that ‘they ain’t too smart’. People out there who have had their expectations lowered year by year by Nu Metal pap might well hail this kind of thing as the great white hope but I’m not buying it. When a track such as ‘Last Nite’ kicks in and you can sing the lyrics of ‘Lust For Life’ by Iggy Pop over the top of it you just kind of know you’re not in pioneer territory. Which is very, very bad. The standout track for me was ‘Hard to Explain’ which fuses metronomic guitar chords with a pop tinged melody that sticks in the head. Regrettably front man Jake Casablancas cripples this as deftly as he does everything else on the record with his sore throat/stuffy nose vocal stylings. I found the Strokes ‘Is This It?’ more numbing than disappointing. The flavour of hype lasts longer for some than others and in time I don’t doubt the flavour will wear off this band for everyone. Me? I think I’ll stick with something more substantial.

In the wise words of the great Public Enemy – Don’t Believe The Strokes."

I'm not trying to make you dislike them. That would be moronic. If you dig them, have fun. It's just too transparent for me.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Then what exactly are you trying to do?

You're clearly making the case that anyone who does like them is a moron. "If you fall for that" etc.

I like The Strokes. I know nothing about their ad campaign. I heard one song, got the album, and it's good stuff. Go figure. I could really care less who their "daddies" are, let alone get worked up about it in a fit of jealous rage.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    There it is again. Pure evil.

edit: "again" referring to something said by someone else in another thread

18. rickbass

No, you're way off. geshel. I fell for bands in my younger days because I was influenced by the hype produced by the major label hype. Hell - I even thought Boston was cool at one time!

Bit since the FCC has has let these megalith multi-media companies do as they please, the marketing pressure is much more intense and persuasive. You're just not cool if you don't like Sugar Ray and you don't own the cell phone line they promote.

Take away the hype and think how these incompetents would fare against competition like Jeff Berlin, Mohair, Marcus Miller, The Hives, Jeff Beck and the myriad of artists with actual talent. They don't share the same bill or go on the same tours for obvious reasons ---- someone like Jeff Berlin, Ray Riendeau, Dan Glenn, et al, could take these guys to school and spank them when it comes to rock.

Obviously, you think the Strokes have talent. What I'm saying is -that's fine - they please you. That's good.
    All I'm demonstrating is that not all of us are seduced by the packaging. We demand music that really delivers the goods, not what gets cable channel hype. But I used to be a sucker for that.

Wait another 10 years or so and you'll see the Strokes for what they really are......if you can even remember they even existed, which I doubt seriously. They don't contribute anything. If they were cooks, they just serve "leftover lasagna" and it's just lukewarm at that. For them to pretend they are inluenced by a truly "hot" band like the Stooges is just a gross insult. They're not worthy of carrying the instrument cables for the Stooges.

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Where is it that I'm "way off"?

Once again you describe all the reasons why morons like the "hyped" bands, and how you used to be like that but you've grown beyond it, and in time I'll come to understand that I too was fooled by the hype, and I had no reason to actually like The Strokes now, because they have no talent.

Let me reiterate: I like The Strokes' music. This has nothing to do with their talent, the hype, or what bands you used to listen to and now regret for some reason or other.

Coming off like you accept this, then qualifying your acceptance (which is a contradiction in itself) by further insulting me in six or seven different ways, well, pisses me off.

1. I never said they had talent
    2. I'm glad you approve, I wouldn't want you to disapprove of my feelings (even though you go to great length to discredit them)

20. re. The Hives, aren't there rumours around that they're a manufactured band too?
    a good live band, admittedly.
    in Making Music magazine it mentioned that someone else writes their songs for them.

the British music press really went overboard hyping the Strokes, then, the inevitable backlash occurred- the NME itself wrote off their live performances as not justifying the hype- only it was largely the NME's hype in the first place.

I'm indifferent towards the Strokes- they've never had to struggle, their music's okay, but derivative, no innovation.
    I'm sick to death of hearing "last nite" on the radio- I switch stations if it's played.
    I do like the bassline to "Is this it", though.