The Studio 5 by FBass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan17, Jul 27, 2005.

1. bryan17

Apr 28, 2002
    Does anyone know anything about the Studio 5 by Fbass? Does it also have a jazz sound. or does it sound more like a p-bass?
  2. Hey,

from what I know, bass is almost the same, except body shape!

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    it's less frets that a usual BN5... it's 20 frets opposed to 22.
    They call it "vintage positioning"...
  4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I think the Studio is supposed to be voiced a little different, not electronically, but just because of the difference in shape, i.e. where the neck connects to the body. I heard it sounded a little mellower or more "P" like than the standard BN5 which to me sounds jazz like, but with lots more tonal options. Alas, I've never played a studio so I can't say.

I'd love to check one out though, I love my BN6.

my website
  5. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    Hi..the Studio model has 20 frets and a slightly different body shape (knobs in slightly different position too)....between the shorter neck and corresponding body shape ends up giving slightly more ash and slightly less maple in the overall mix of woods and the bass tends to have a little bit of a different response. Seems to have a bit more bottom end- or an altered mid response- seems to be fairly consistant but not set in stone.
    The Studio model was designed at the time for giving slappers that more traditional sweet spot slightly further up the string length. I've played several killer Studios...and it did make a difference in slap comfort and tone for me.
  6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004 it is..

i got a studio 5 string ( the one on the F bass site wit the custom flame inlay)

this bass is awesome. can u say LOW END ? I use this bass primarily now for slapping/tapping styles of playing. Its a swamp ash body and macassar ebony board. It has only 20 frets. I feel like it can sound exactly like a jazz bass no problem. i've never heard anything like a P bass come from it, ever since i owned it. ( i'm the original owner, for about 5 years or so now) I have never had a problem with it, and George is just plain awesome.

I remember Basses55 played my studio once, and he was loving it. That truly made my day. especially coming from a player with such skillz.

he stopped producing them because they weren't generating enough sales. needless to say, i think he will still make one for a customer if they want, but it will cost a little more.. but they are definetly a bass for thump style playing

! cheers !
  7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    That is an awesome F Bass. I love the inlay. It's so inviting.
  8. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo

Hi neighbor! I remember your bass- really sweet one too! Dont sell it ....unless its to me....
    (thanks for the nice words also)
  9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I remember playing one a while back and I really dug it. I like the different fret count and I remember the bass having a nice thick voicing overall.

If memory serves, I believe Brad has one.
  10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i have no plans to sell my studio ( suss studio, i'll just say the word)
    i plan to be the original owner for life. plus , its TOO DAMN SWEET to sell :):):):):)
  11. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    You have to admit they look mighty swank.

12. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    I got curious about these and I contacted them a little while ago...they said it was no upcharge for the studio. Visually I think they look nicer then the BNs, more beefy looking, haven't played one yet.