1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Suana

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kosko, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    So yeah, does anyone love this thing as much as I do? Sitting in 110 degrees for 20 minutes makes the summer heat feel like air conditioning.

I'm not sure exactly what it does, but it feels great afterwards. I believe it gets rid of excess salt in the body, raises your heart rate (burning calories), relieves stress from the kidneys and makes you really really thirsty.

Finland has been using them for years with supposed insane benefits.

The steam room is pretty great too, but that ones tougher to tolerate.

2. I mainly use saunas to be able to up my intake of bacon flavored salts :D

3. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Thats exactly what made me think about the sauna. I believe I'm able to eat more salt in healthy lifestyle when a regular sauna is included. I have no scientific background to back this up.

4. Everything's better with some saunaing.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Sauna = Sausage Fest

I aint down with it.

6. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    hahahahaha, thats actually funny (because its the norm put forth by American culture). Suanas are traditionally coed. Actually being known as one of the few places where sex and sexuality doesn't hold any ground. As well as age. Kids and adults of all ages and sexes getting together to detox their bodies of bad stuff.

7. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Are you talking hot tubs or steam rooms?

I have heard both referred to as saunas.

I do a dry sauna 4-5 times a week. It's a redwood room with an electric heating element. 180 degrees for 10 minutes after i work out. It loosens up all the muscles and sweats out everything!!!!!

8. hmmmm, really :meh:

:p:D

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    after you work out? sounds good. i'll have to add that to my daily workout regimen.

I've used one a couple of times and MAN it really helped me to be more relaxed during the day. I also felt a lot healthier.

10. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Yea, I find that I don't get as sore and feel a lot more limber if I sit in one before my post workout shower. You'll dig it!!!!

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    thanks man. i'll try it today. how long?

12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

after a half dozen or so beers. The evening was fine also, around 7:00pm after drinking all day. A short 2 or 3 hour nap afterwords and whamo, refreshed and ready to drink and party for another 6 hours.
    Of course that was in Northern Minnesota (Finlander country).

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

13. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I usually stay in for 5-10 minutes, if it really hot like 180 or so I am out in 5. Don't breath in through your nose, it burns a little :D

14. Whoops, sorry, I let that one go. Sorry man.

:D

15. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    I used to sit in there for 5-10 minutes before my workouts as well as after...it helps open the capillaries and get blood moving.

I used to stretch quite a bit until I found out stretching can actually promote injuries if combined with other workouts...the sauna was a good alternative...

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The effects of sauna are based in elevating the body temperature a bit, from the surface inwards. This results in slightly elevated heart rate and sweating, as the body tries to cool itself down a bit. Positive effects because of this are small boost to immune system because of the mild stress reaction, some exercise for the heart and circulation, cleansing the skin pores because of sweating and having the muscles relax, which feels great after exercise.

I don't know if you use public saunas where you can throw water on the heater or not. You can usually recognize a correctly-built sauna from the ventilation: optimal solution is having air inlet near the hot stones or above it, and outlet somewhere close to the floor/underneath the door, so that when you throw water on the stones it pulls fresh air in and pushes "old" air out. For this reason it's also recommended that you do throw small amount of water on the stones on short intervals. On general sauna etiquette; I recommend that if you can throw water on the stones, wait at least 3-4 minutes when you come into the sauna for the first time, warming up slowly will open up your sweat glands and make it easier for the body. It's also recommended that you drink something when in sauna, so it keeps your core temperature down and hydrates you. I like to use the sauna for 4-5 minutes at a time, going out to cool off for a few minutes and then go back in, sometimes even 4-5 times in a row.

Around here in the 'cradle', we usually enjoy sauna with friends and few cool beers - during the summer, BBQ and sauna go hand in hand, as does skinny dipping if the sauna happens to be at waterfront. Fortunately, there's usually enough beer so the girls' remarks about the water-shrunken shrimp don't sting too much :ninja: Also, student clubs and whatnot tend to have sauna nights for the people, where the in-and-out traffic might last for hours.

And for those who think it's a "Sausage Fest", well, at student sauna nights we tend not to have separate turns for boys and girls, and using a cloth is heavily frowned upon.. :cool:

17. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Isn't there something good for the skin by getting in the sauna and rolling around in the snow...then getting back in the sauna?

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I love going in the sauna. Beats a steam room hands down, any day...it's good to know that all the moisture on your skin is self generated! :D They're a great place just to relax.

19. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Damn I need to get out to finland...

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thats because you'd have to be insane to try and graft in a sauna...talk about heat exaustion! :p