Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Sum 41 guy's guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Nov 8, 2001.

1. After seeing the Fat Lip video from Sum 41 (shut up) I was left wondering what kind of guitar the blond singer guy plays. I want to say Gibson by the headstock but I've never seen a guitar like that before. Any insight?

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    my guitar friend told me that it's a Gibson Marauder,and obviously the other guy plays a Gibson Les Paul.I think he's right cuz he reads alotta stuff in magazines and stuff.

3. i'm pretty sure you're talking about the song that sounds like blink 182 meets beastie boys... right? If so, in the video, thats a hammer guitar. I'm pretty sure its usa, but i'm positive its by hammer. Read the headstock... it says "hammer"

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    "Hammer" or "Hamer"?

5. i dont know... you tell me... which one is a guitar company? ...seriously....

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  7. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    is a guitar company.

8. its a hamer then... i really didnt feel like looking it up... and i'm super tired, so right now i dont really care about spelling.

9. i have pictures of sum 41 with them playing PRS. I know Dave (lead guitar) strictly plays PRS (save a few Gibsons hes been known to play). Yeah the vocalist/rhythm looks likes its a gibson marauder, which is basically a les paul but signifcantly smaller and a slightly different in shape, but it may also be a PRS.

10. maybe i'm talking about the wrong video? i'm really not a fan of sum 41...

11. king_truffle

king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    Hamer makes great guitars, a friend of mine bought one and let me play it for a while. I was impressed. I guess that they 'copy' body styles from american companies, because my friend's looked like an explorer.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know they make a few models, (Not sure what they are called) that look like the are based sort of on a PRS design, but are almost an archtop. I've always wanted to try one, because they look really beautiful just hanging up on the wall.

13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    its not a hamer u tard. I met them and hung out with them and asked them specifically about their guitars. He does play a gibson maurader most of the time. He also plays a LP sumtimes, but not much. The lead guitarist plays PRS's exclusively. Cone the bassist plays fenders, a sunburst pbass most of the time and a jazz bass. I know for a FACT thats not a Hamer in the video.

14. ...wow... i havnt been called that since... 3rd grade. I swear the maturity level on this board is droping... faster and faster. :rolleyes:

Thats great if you've met them or not. I dont really care. i have an AP magazine where he's posing with a HAMER, a flying v copy. I saw them live (it against my will, it was a festival type thing), and guess what??!?! he used that exact same guitar from the picture in the magazine. And as i stated above, i'm not a fan of Sum 41... and i've seen clips of their videos, and not hte whole thing. It was purly a guess...

15. I have the issue of Guitar that has Sum 41 in it. The guy is listed as using a Gibson Maurader. Plus he used it in the Fat Lip video.

I thought hyperlitem didn't address anyone.....but calling someone a tard...good stuff...sorta..

16. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    You gotta like a band that features Maiden shirts in their vids. Sure as hell that isn't a PRS getting dunked in the pool though.

Hey, what if they play several *different* guitars from time to time? :eek:

17. That would be the Hamer Standard, the first guitar that they made. They started out modifying and fixing guitars for players in Chicago and finally started their own outfit. Then Rick Nielsen came onboard and the rest is history. Their stuff is awesome and way cheap for the quality you get. Although they make a lot of import models now, they are an American company and their American made guitars are some of the best values around.

18. why does it even matter? cant you see that they are just trying to cash in on whats popular?

19. Well thank you all. I looked up Gibson Marauders and that's what I was inquiring about. Now can we calm down? And I don't care if they're trying to cash in on what's popular...I just wanted to know what the guy's guitar was.

20. That's bollocks. How many guitar solos do you see in Blink 182/Greenday/New Found Glory songs? None. At least they're injecting a little faith back into the genre, like the Iron Maiden shirts.