1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Superlatively Lightest Gig Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Apr 9, 2009.

1. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Okay, this is an excercise for all you lightweight and ultralight weight afficianados. What is the absolute/ultimate/supreme/(insert superaltive here) lightweight rig you can use to gig with? Rules:

Must include a bass, amplifier, speaker cab, or combo (because we can all DI, even with those things).

GO!!

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I gig with an Eden WTX-260 driving a single D112XLT cab. The lightest bass I own is the LightWave at 7.5lbs.

And I've gigged with the LightWave and a custom-built 23-lb combo.

Of course, the definition of "gig" is highly variable. I'm not playing stadiums, don't have drums on those gigs, not even electric guitars.

So this exercise is kinda worthless except for curiosity.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    For me, I'd have to say, approximatley, 200 lbs, but I'm NOT into the new lightweight gear. I've tried some, and came back to my heavy stuff.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'll play, since I've lived this topic for many years.

1) The absolutely smallest and lightest rig I've found that can truly do a full sized gig (i.e., keep up with the loudest drummer with no PA support in a large room).... the 4ohm Schroeder 115L+ combined with the Markbass F1. 500 watts of punchy tone. Total weight, 34 pounds... 37 with covers and smaller than a lot of 112's:D There is a bit of a compromise in the deep low end (physics is physics), but man does it wump the punch.

s115_1.

2) The absolute BEST sounding small rig I've experienced that is capable of doing a loud, large gig is the TecAmp Puma500/s212(4ohm). 500 big watts into a very small 212 cab (smaller than some 210's)... total weight.... 47 pounds.... 51 with covers:D Absolutly no compromise in tone whatsoever IMO:bassist:

tec1.

I guess what makes these a bit unique is that they are 112 and 210 sized rigs that are actually 115 and 212 rigs. I likey a lot!

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    utilizing only gear I actually own:

Either my Höfner 500/1V63 or Rick Turner RB4FL, Markbass F1 with custom EV B-110 cabinet, or for really light, replace F1 and B-110 with Markbass Minimark. If the latter, than I am carrying about 26 lbs. total, not including cases, cables, etc.

6. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Subjective thread is subjective.

That being said...Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Ibanez in gig bag, Micro300 head, DIY speaker, sum total less than 30 pounds.

8. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I love playing with my GB Shuttle 6.0 into two Epifani UL2-110's. This is an ungodly loud combination that takes the B string from my 8 1/2 lb Mike Lull M5V without wincing! :p

9. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My lightest gig rig was a Genz Shuttle 3.0-8T combo that I borrowed. 13 pounds and they told me to turn down. It was a QUIET gig!!

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Acoustic Image Coda Combo - Series III

Weighs about 20lbs and will work for any gig that doesn't require you to wear ear plugs. It's the ulimate metro area commuter rig, with you bass on your back you ride the bus or the train and have a hand free at all times.

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    It appears there is now a one piece version of your TecAmp rig: Der Puma Combo 212

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 That combo is a little different than my rig. The use a paper cone mid driver in the combo versus the more traditional tweeter in the stand along cabs. So, I assume it's a bit more 'old school' sounding. While that's not particularly my thing, I bet it sounds great!

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    SWR LA-8 w/Celestion 8", 1 cord, 1 power cord, cassette sized Korg Tuner and G&L L-1000 in Reunion Blues Bag.

No wait (weight). Substitute a Guild Ashbory for the G&L and the weight is way (weigh) down.

Hand carry one trip. One hand carry.

Subjective. What kind of gig? There are Taylor guitars that can, unplugged, drown out an underpowered bass amp.
    I've played the above mentioned rig with a singer songwriters at house concerts. Generally I take the BBII.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I think people are interpreting this thread two ways. Some are talking about small and light in an absolute sense (i.e., a Genz 8" combo). That's reasonably uninteresting to me (i.e., a really small rig that sounds like a really small rig).

My interest is finding the smallest, lightest rig that with VERY little compromise, can handle gigs that typically require a 410 or 2 x 15. That's where it gets interesting to me, and where things are REALLY moving ahead in the bass amplification category.

I would have very little interest getting a very small and lightweight rig that sounded like a very small and lightweight rig:smug::bag:

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    For me that has been an IP112 w/Kern Pre. Does it all but then I like how it sounds with the EX112 and the whole issue blossoms.:eek::meh::)

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 While not exactly lightweight, that is in the spirit of a rig that sounds a LOT louder and fuller than you would expect given its size!

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    :eyebrow: ... Yeah really

Stack-O-MOjO2.

:D ... Gotta be the Voodoo dust

18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nice! Those cabs look interesting.

19. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Which is exactly why I posted it. I mean lightest could be a bass, DI, IEM's. Of course in that scenario one would still need a PA with subs, so....

I guess if you want clearer parameters, then how about the lightest rig that can carry the house w/o PA support. The house being a typical club that most working stiffs would play. Once you get to arenas, you have roadies and an entourage and probably aren't too concerned with weight:D

20. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I do gigs from acoustic duos to large horn driven dance bands and loud blues. I'm obsessed with having light gear - but it must sound good and put out enough sound to get the job done. I also live in NYC so schleping gear is a Big Hassle. My rigs:

Small: Shuttle 3.0 10t

Medium: Shuttle w/ Schroeder 15L (4 ohm)

Large: Shuttle w/ Dr. Bass 212 (4 ohm) (this is a prototype extra light build weighing in at 43 lbs.)

Anything larger than the 2x12 can handle is done by the PA but I could theoretically pair it up with the 115 if I picked up a power amp.

I doubt there's anything lighter in these categories that could handle my gigs in the way I want. But I'm always open to suggestions - which is why I'm here. :D