1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

The Sushi Box FX Secret Society

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kranahan, Oct 9, 2020.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Is that from last month, or march?

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    If there's a PA X colored like a bruise that's mine!

3. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Supporting Member Commercial User

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    I'm still working on getting myself one of everything to keep on hand so I can do demos, answer questions, etc. This month I got a Dr Wattson, DrW X, LU, LUX, LR, LRX and SD.

Alas the highest I've gone so far (aside from a full amplifier) was 4, and I ended up scrapping the design. It was a tube-driven spring reverb build, which I still want, but I want to start over and do a better one.

This is the February batch. I'm a little behind where I usually am at this point in the month, but I should still be able to get everything finished and shipped out by March 1, which is when I'll finalize and order parts for the March batch.

MT Hope, tombowlus, Real Soon and 2 others like this.
  4. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    Switzerland
    Dear Nathan, what is the deadline for changing a March order? And will it be too soon for the SVBT?

krfoss likes this.
  5. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Ohhh myyyyyy ((c) George Takei)

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  6. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Deadline for changing a March order is March 1, and unfortunately SBVT will not he ready for March. I'm hoping to have it ready for April, assuming the prototype works without drastic redesign.

7. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Can't wait to try that SBVT!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  8. TwototheValley

TwototheValley Gold Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2019
    My LUX arrived yesterday. Really, really nice.

Although the tone stack is similar, I prefer it to the Particle Accelerator primarily due to the nature of the distortion as the gain is cranked...it also plays a bit better with my other pedals.

Glad it ticked the boxes for me...after having come up with the name originally, I was hoping it'd be a keeper on my board :D. Although I had to be an iconoclast and break with convention by NOT ordering it in orange :p

Thanks Nathan, great work!

9. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    What do you like about the distortion and bet the PA?

TwototheValley likes this.
  10. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Glad you like it :) just so everyone knows, anytime there is an LU order not in orange or a non-LU order in orange I triple-check it to make sure it's correct :p

EDIT: just changed a bunch of stuff because reading it back to myself didn't make as much sense as I wanted :p

LU has the tone stack at the end, whereas PA has it in the middle. Even leaving it completely "flat" cuts a little bit of signal, which means there is gain loss between the stages, so the second stage doesn't drive as hard as it does in the LU, where all gain happens before the tone stack.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  11. TwototheValley

Sep 3, 2019
    For my set up at least, it's a little tighter and more crisp, and easier to dial in gradually compared to the PA which seemed to have an earlier and more sudden onset.

Mind you, I'm not exactly comparing like with like here, since my PA is not the X version and instead has the subminiature tube. So i'm not sure to what extent the different tubes are contributing to the perceived difference, vs where the tonestack is located relative to the gain stage.

I know that's probably not much help....like much of the discussion here, there's a lot of subjectivity....and maybe some subconscious bias on my part, since I wanted to like it, for the reasons outlined above.....psychoacoustics?? :headphone:

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  12. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    So if I place an April.orser and the SBVT isn't ready yet, can I delay the order? Basically, buy a slot in advance?

13. TwototheValley

Sep 3, 2019
    Makes sense, and probably explains why I prefer the LU since I tend to use EQ after distortion. Is the gain loss in the PA is due to the inherent mid-scoop of that tonestack?

14. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Yup, absolutely. Happens all the time.

Yup, exactly that. It's hard to make a really lossless tone stack, generally we just admit that there will be losses and design make-up gain.

15. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    You guys are making me want to get an LUX....

16. TwototheValley

Sep 3, 2019
    Can you comment on the extent to which these particular circuits and tone-stacks respond to tube-rolling?

I love to tinker and part of the attraction of the X series is the ability to try out different tubes. I know that there can be some variation in breakup characteristics with different tubes, but my question is does the tube have any bearing on the prominence of various frequencies even at relatively clean settings? People often comment along the lines of “sparkling highs” or “punchier bass” being characteristic of certain brands, mainly in audiophile forums when listening to hi-fi systems through high-end headphones.

For example, I find the mids control in both the PA and LA to be rather subtle relative to the bass and treble. Would changing the tube have any influence on this? I know I should probably just try it and see.

At least in the SLO MkIIIs I found changing the tube TYPE from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7 did seem to accentuate the mids a little.

krfoss likes this.
  17. TwototheValley

Sep 3, 2019
    EDB48112-72C1-4721-8E38-D97F6789360E.gif

MT Hope, Sushi Box FX and krfoss like this.
  18. bass4more

bass4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Sushi Box FX likes this.
  19. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Awesomeness and done! Thanks!

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  20. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    So I can't speak specifically as to what tube will affect the sound in what way, but different tubes absolutely can have different frequency responses depending on when and how they were made. So there may be a tube out there that bumps the mids in just the right way, you just need to find it. Tube rolling can be rewarding, but can also get expensive fast :p

TwototheValley and macmanlou like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021