The sweet sound of fretless mwaaaahh.....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by NikkiG, Sep 20, 2003.

1. NikkiG

NikkiG Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm sure the X-guy :))) won't mind my posting this here. He was just sitting around and made up this little tune (fretless solo) as he played, and I love it. It's so full of emotion. I wish I could do that! I LOVE MWAAH!!!!

Etude by Dad.mp3
  2. Not my cup of tea, but that is a nice solo, nice tone.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I like it... A LOT!!!

4. NikkiG

NikkiG Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I like it a lot too, but I'm biased.

BTW, to the mods, I think I made a mistake posting this here in Technique. Feel free to move it to Recording if you think it belongs there. Sorry.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OOooOh, purty. I wish my dad could play bass like that. But I can out bass my dad any day. Mostly because my dad isn't a bass player. :bassist:
  6. Hey....... isn't there a law against recording performances without the permission of the performer? :D

What Nik failed to mention (and this explains the sloppy performance) is that I was sitting on the couch in the living room with the t.v. remote control on one hand, and a slice of pizza on the other, while I played that piece. ;)
  7. wow, that is sweet!!

did you write that, or would it be possible to find a transcription anywhere? :)

nice work! :cool:
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The bass played itself?!?:eek: ;)

I hear some stops in it that were perhaps for a bite...;)

do you often sit around the house plugged in to a recording device?
  9. Microbass - I didn't exactly "wite it". I just kind of played it. If you really want it, I'll transcribe it and PM it to you (or maybe post it here).

Wrong Robatto - "The bass played itself?" Well, if you tried hard enough, you too could play notes by merely thinking them. :)

"do you often sit around the house plugged in to a recording device?" Yes.... my favorite spot is sitting on the toilet (I have a pic of that somewhere to prove it). Actually, I always plug in to the computer for amplification while watching tv in the living room (no other amp there other than a Pocket Rockit Headphone Amp - and it's hard to hear the tv with headphones on).
  10. Wow, X, that would be awesome! But don't go outta your way for me man!!

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, I sure as heck wish I could sound like that when I sit on my sofa with a remote in one hand and pizza in the other...or even WITHOUT a remote and pizza...or even WITHOUT a sofa...or under any circumstances for that matter. :p
  12. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's a nice tone, X. What bass is that?
  13. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Nice, XG. It has a Tony Levin-ish quality to my ears.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm diggin' that mwah! My fretless won't record any mwah! It'll do it acoustically but the pickups won't translate the sound! Nice solo! What bass is that?
  15. Jo - Flattery will get you everywhere! :) I'm certain you, and many others here could do better.

moley - It's an older American Standard Jazz with a Warmoth Rosewood neck (originally fretted - but no longer).
  16. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Cool stuff.. lyrical. Only thing that I didn't totally dig was that I thought you played with a little too fast vibrato on some tones.. just IMO..

17. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Very Nice sh** :D

Your tone is most similar to Sean Malone's (or vice versa since you've been playing longer than Him eheh)

Which strings do you use?
    I'm in the process of buying a fretless baby and haven's decided on the strings matter, and since your tone is very close to what I'm searching for... you know... ;)

Keep up the good work - as soon as I reset my download plafond I'll be downloading your other songs :D
  18. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    That gliss on the last harmonic note is killin' me! :D

Nice flow to the direction of the lines. Mwaah rules!
  19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    (Peter Griffin voice) That's freakin' sweet!!! (/Peter Griffin)