Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The SX of Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbully43, Jul 11, 2005.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    You guys always are a help so here it goes. I own a SX bass and love it you guys know how they are viewed on here. Is there any amps that compare like a SX does in basses...you know good quality at a low price? I am looking for something to maybe get in a band with. I have a peavy micro now for practice and its good for that. I just wonder if there is a holy grail type of amp system somewhere where you get high dollar quaility at buget prices. I know Hartke, Beringer are maybe what im after. I can get the Beringer 300watt for under $200.00 and then get a cab. I am not in a band (looking) play blues,jazz old rock not screaming metal and am on a budget. I cant have an Ampeg sitting in the corner collecting dust and worth more than my car ...i'm a family man. Also why dont guys play out with combos are there not enough watts? I can score a Fender rumble 100w here at Gc for $300 it seams loud to me and clean at high volume...any thoughts?

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, as for an awesome cabinet for low prices, I'd recommend you getting an Avatar. www.avatarspeakers.com

I wouldnt say that Avatar is the SX of amps, because though SX's are good for the price, they arent amazing. Avatars are top notch stuff, for low prices.

Typically, we dont play out of combos because of the lack of good ones. Though they are great for practice and small situations, its not easy to find a 400 watt combo that'll play effectively. Also with combos, you're stuck with what you get. With the stack method, you can upgrade in pieces.

As for the Fender Rumble 100, Lets just say I probably wouildnt even be heard at my practice with that thing (granted my band is loud, but the rumble doesnt cut through well at all)

3. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks. What is the wattage i need at least 300? those cabs look good for the bucks.

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'd say 300 would be suitable. It all depends on what everyone else in your band has. I'm in a loud band, so I have a 600 watt mesa boogie...

5. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    If you get a cab through avatar you can get some cheap amp heads with free shipping too. I'd probably go that way if you end up buying a cab from them.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IMO, the essex of amps would be an old 1980's peavey tnt combo, or mark 3 or mark 4 head and a 2x15 cab or the cab with one 18 and two tens.

in fact they's probably be a lot better than essex, and just as cheep. :smug:

7. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    So yeah, I dont care what any of you say, My ibanez was a good amp at a good price. I only have a 30w amp, and its still pretty damn loud for only 30w. So I would recomend the 100w version. Or maybe an ampeg portaflex 2x8 combo, or the new fender bassman series. All of those are worthy combo's I would say. Oh and the ampeg B100r 100w combo. They have one of those at GC, when I go back i'll try it out and let you know how loud it goes. And for the mean time, here's to all the amps I just told you about.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480297/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480873/ (there's also a 210 version)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/481773/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/481492/

8. Cabs-Avatar
    Heads-Peavey Mark Series

I got a Peavey Mark 8 with a Yamaha 610 cabinet last year for 330 dollars US, the head was 600w, built like a tank, had a really nice chorus and compression, and a lot of tone control as well as features. It was insane. I ended up selling the pair for over twice what I paid for it and I still think the guy got a great deal.

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Was the peavy used? what about the bahringer 300watt. I read good reviews but most here hate them.

10. +1

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Best combo? Id say oen of those SWR Professional series Red sumthing or others. 350 watts, into 2 ten inch speakers, and if u add a 4 ohm speaker its then 400 watts. Very nice.

12. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    yorkville!!!

13. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I'm a family man like you and I've spent many hours researching and making careful buying decisions for my needs. I own a Hartke HA2000 head (you mention you are considering a Hartke) and you can that for just over $200 new or less used. The quality is better than the Behringer, although the wattage is lower (200w@4ohms). 3500 heads (350w@4ohms) are a dime a dozen on eBay and you can score a used one for a decent price. My HA2000 powers a Steelsound 2x12 cab I bought new for $170, including shipping. This particular cab is discussed in detail in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184145. Overall it is of good initial playing quality and is cheap, in the spirit of a SX-type product.

Edit: About combos, the Peavey Combo 115 might be in your range (although not an SX-type amp), and you can add a 4ohm extension cab as well if you need to move more air later on.

14. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    +1 again. I played a TNT 180 all through high school with a '68 fender jazz reissue for the school jazz ensemble. Then I'd borrow the same rig to do a thrash metal gig on weekends. I made my old band director an offer on them both a few years back, but he'd already sold them off because the high school band budget got slashed :bawl:

15. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I had a TNT years ago and it was a great amp. I sold it to pay for my first wedding...but it wasnt the last ;)

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You should have kept the amp.

I got tons of milage out of my TNT115. Great combo for $400 new. I think they run around $450 now, though you could do an Avatar stack for close to that much and have a way better amp.

TNTs are still my favorite combo. They do what a combo is supposed to do with great reliability and very low cost.

17. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I had a peavey session bass for a while that was pretty great, especially in the studio. Very balanced tone, extremely clear with very little colouring. Actually, I miss that head a lot, I should get another.

But, if you want tubes, and you should, because tubes can make someones bowels go. Get a yorkville/traynor yba200, for half the price of any ampeg.

18. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Most people on here will not recommend the Behringer. I am a working family man also and at the time I needed a head with reasonable power for a good price. For the price the head cannot be beat. 200 bucks for 300 watts into 4 ohms brand new with warranty. Some may say you will need the warranty but I have had mine since 11/03 and have not had a problem. At one point it was my main amp but now it gets played at least 2 to 3 times a week as my backup/practice head. I believe that most equipment will last if you take care of it. If I need to play it with my gain on 8, 9, or 10 then I may need to consider getting another amp. Most amps are not going to run forever if you have the gains maxed. The Behringer is smooth and powerful and you can get a variety of sounds. combine it with an Avatar speaker cab such as a Neo 210 and you have a compact, versatile head and cab for under 500 bucks. Then you can add a cab later or just get the 212 and B head for around 550. That combo will add a little more volume and punch.