1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Talkbass-induced cycle of G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Apr 17, 2015.

1. You start off your bass playing career with a Squier P bass because you've heard that everyone should own a P bass and you can't go wrong with them. After a few months of perusing the forums (when you should be practicing) you decide it's time to move up. So you buy a Warwick, one of the REAL German-made ones. You think you’ve got the best bass on your block! Think again. You need a Warwick that was made before 1990 because everyone knows the old ones are superior. Done! Wait a minute: Warwicks all have baseball bat necks and their owners sell them because the neck dive causes them to look like Quasimodo. All the great session players use Sadowsky. So you get your first boutique bass, a nice Sadowsky Metro. You’re all set right? No, it’s his import line. You have to get a NYC model, now you’re legit. What? Some folks don’t consider a Sadowsky boutique? Better get that Ken Smith. Ahh, that’s better. Huh? It’s a bolt on. Naaah, that’s not the real Smith sound. You need a neck through. OK, now you own one and you’ve got the best of the best. Whuzzat?!! People on Talkbass have sold their Smiths once they played a Fodera. Gotta get a Fodera now! You get that $10,000 Victor Wooten Yin Yang model. You decide you’re too afraid to play it out and you’re not good enough to justify a $10,000 bass.

So in the end you wind up playing a Mexican P bass with flats.

That is all. Good night. :D

2. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    THAT...was cool.

...now let me pack my MIM Road Worn (with flats) in it's case for the gig tonight....

Mastermold and PeaveyPlayer like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Eventually you end up two used American Peaveys, and actually play instead of reading classifieds.:):bassist::)

4. ...and he lived happily ever after.

Kitsapbass likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hope so.

6. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    It's always the "yin yang", isn't it?

7. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    MIJ Squier...........close, but no cigar.

8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Long ago in a land far far away in a kingdom called bassland lived a happy inventor named Leo, and one day Leo made a great discovery in musical instrument making, so he decided to make this wonderful new invention available to all that wanted them and the citizens of bassland enjoyed them and made beautiful music together and everyone was happy. There was also a little town known as gibsonville where they too had many fine musical instruments and the people played music together and everyone was very happy. Until one day when an evil overlord saw what was happening and realized he was not getting any monetary gain from the villagers musical happiness and thought to himself " why this simply will not do" and devised a scheme to flood the market with cheap knock offs of the instruments the villagers had enjoyed so much and had played so many happy songs together on. Pretty soon a new frustration crept over the land becuase the instruments were not as good as the old ones and youngsters started bashing on these guitars and angry words came forth, they became known as "punks" because of there self professed uncivilized proclivities. This forlorned anger spread to other far away lands like seattle and even as far as a mystical place known as great britain. Of course the elders still gathered to play something they called jazz, which was definitly rooted in the old ways as traditions should be preserved. Later the evil overlord confounded the poor villagers even more by making guitars with so many strings they forgot how to just make simple happy songs, and there was a deep forboding over the land as every note seemed to be in a minor key...(shudders in horror) Until one day............................................................

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Alright, it's time to go practice!:bassist:

10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I practice once a week wether I need it or not. I thought someone might pick up on the story and run with it, its just for fun ya know.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Or two new custom Roscoes...and start looking at DI's to get a better IEM sound...and some effects, just a little compression and a little chorus for the new fretless.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    You totally forgot to mention getting the right strings, pick guards, pickups, high mass bridge, drop tuners, nut, and pickup cover for each bass along the way.

Of course then it would be a 10 page paper. And don't get me started on amps, cabs, and effects. :p

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    It gave me gas for b15ns. I now have three. Must. Stop. Browsing. Talkbass.

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA

Isn't that the truth? That's why we have Beater basses so we don't use our expensive basses- only problem is thanks to TB, I have like 10 "beater" basses. lol

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use my expensive basses every time. If I wanted to play beaters that's what I'd have. I could have a dozen beaters (and I did think about going that route) but I really enjoy playing the 2 I have and that means something to me.

16. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    This is why I'm glad my bass GAS was satisfied before I joined TB(except the rickenbacker 4003S;)).... Now I just gas over pedals...

17. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    .... And you realize your MIA Fender Jazz has been good for you for many years so you start considering getting a nice MIA Fender Precision as a backup and contemplate being just happy with a quality meat and potatoes pair of basses like you started out with. Not fancy or especially expensive but decent quality that you can depend on.

The posiflex rods have proven good at stabilizing the neck, it rarely needs adjustment and maybe it's why you have a hardly noticeable dull spot on c# on the g string. You realize between these 2 basses you can pull of anything you need to and one will always be available when the other is taking a long while for something because your Luthier is a one man operation that does quality work. You could just rest and feel contentment for a while and get rid of all the other stuff...

18. Ease up on the gas pedal. :D

hintz likes this.
  19. Or you really strip your gear down to bare bones and replace your 2 basses with one PJ. :hyper:

VWbug likes this.
  20. Chinchano

Chinchano

Jan 18, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    LOL great post