1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The TalkBass official NBA thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Oct 29, 2013.

1. The 2013-2014 NBA season starts tonight!

We've got megathreads for other sports, but I don't think we've ever done one for basketball. Hopefully there's enough interest to keep one going this season.

I'm very excited to see what the Rockets can do this year with Dwight Howard. I'm also interested in Derrick Rose's return to Chicago, and to see if the Pacers can prove they are the best team in the East, finally proving to be a team that can go toe-to-toe with Miami.

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Will the Lakers finish better than .500? I say no...sadly.

70% of GM said they would rather have Harden now than Kobe at the SG position.

And lastly, I hope the entire Heat team dies of gonorrhea.

3. man the Clips and Golden State put on a show last night. CP3 and Steph Curry were seriously going at it. Unfortunately, I don't think this formula with two offensive juggernauts for guards will win the Warriors a championship. Not until Curry becomes a better passer and steps up his D a little bit. If you score 38, and the opposing guard scores 42, well you really scored -3. and 11 turnovers is just uncalled for.

It's a little early to really be into the NBA, hopefully this thread picks up as the season progresses

4. I have a feeling the Nuggets will be near the bottom of the West this year. Still bummed they fired Karl. Dude's a good coach.

5. The Rockets looked great against the Bobcats in game one. I realize it's just one game and the bobcats aren't exactly a great team, but Dwight Howard was a rebound machine in a very impressive debut. Him and Asik together in a dual center role went alot better than I thought it would.

6. and no mention of the Eastern conference so far. Lets keep it that way guys :D

7. Yeah, totally opposite of the NHL thread. It's all East over there.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Um...yeah. Good luck with that! :p

9. Yeah they'll get some great games out of him...until the postseason when it gets hard and isn't as much fun anymore :(

10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The East looks pretty strong at the top this year.:D Beyond my Heat, the Nets and Bulls have gotten better, and the Pacers are of course very solid. Should be some good matchups there.

The West, I dunno. Houston could be great until Dwight's free-throw shooting starts to matter in the playoffs. The Clippers don't play well enough in the half-court to win it all, IMO, Doc notwithstanding. OKC, maybe? I just think Westbrook--if he gets back to 100%--will still be too much of a gunner. I like and massively respect the Spurs, but they're yet another year older...

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Haha! You know you'd embrace Bron in a second if he came to LA.;)

12. gggit outta here! go on head now git!

:D

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :spit:

I'd stop watching basketball!

14. as long as Rose is their leader, the Bulls will never win a championship. Unless he has some sort of change in his persona. Heat/Pacers in the end, Pacers finally beat up the heat in 7. You heard it here first folks :p

The west, we have so many exciting teams here it's not even funny. But every one has one form or another of a glaring weakness when it comes to winning it all. If Howard stops playing grabass, if Doc gets the Clips to figure out a half court offense, or if Curry makes better decisions with the ball I think one of their teams may get in by default