1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

THE TalkBass Phish Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Oct 26, 2018.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I did a minimal amount of using the search engine and Phish came up with mostly questions about how to play certain songs or band situations involving playing phish songs...all of which are more than appropriate for a forum dedicated to bass.

I...however...was hoping to unite those of us in this community into the band (who share in the brotherhood of bass - special SPECIAL thank you to our boy “cactus”). So (hopefully) in this thread we talk PHiSh and all things related phish as fellow bassists amd phish heads.

So....how ‘bout this tour?

How bout Gordon’s playing?

The newish direction the big jams have been taking?

The normalcy of the 5 song sets?

It is a golden age! Come out and show yourselves....phishies....I know you are out t(ere!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Their Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is pretty damned good.

And every few months the outro from “The Squirming Coil” gets stuck in my head for a day or two :D

kesslari, wesonbass and cosmicevan like this.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Seems like band appreciation threads here are often in the Bassists Forum, a la the Philzone one. There's already a long running Gordo thread: Gordo Club (Mike Gordon) Yel_wink.

cosmicevan likes this.
  4. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I play in a phish dead govt mule cover band

fhm555, wesonbass and cosmicevan like this.
  5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I quit the mostly GD but did some Phish, Little Feat, Marshall Tucker, Allman Brothers, Govt Mule band I was in. It just got old after a couple of decades.

6. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    We only play about once per month, do some allmand too. The guys like to turn things over so we are doing 30% of the set as new material. So it’s pretty fresh.

But I hear ya, did a EWF, Stevie wonder Chicago thing for many years. Same songs 2-3 times a week. Never want to play those songs again. 8 years later they’re still doing it. Can’t imagine how.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sometimes it's just time to move on. I'm much happier in the duo/sometimes trio I now play in, and we ain't never doin' Bertha.

8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'm not really a Phanatic and don't like going to big concerts anymore (old guy), but I've seen them about a dozen times over the years and think they're great. Every once in a while, when I have a chance, I choose a random live video to watch. (I do it right: I "prepare" accordingly, crank up the sound system, etc.) What I would like are some recommendations about some particular sets that I can find on Youtube or elsewhere -- especially recent shows -- that are must-sees. I don't have time to watch too many, so I'd really appreciate suggestions about the best of the the best.

wesonbass likes this.
  9. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I'd like to come see your band
    They recently did something that was oh so phish...by inventing a band and creating folklore around the band and a recording the band made - which they subsequently played in it's entirety on halloween. It is not normal Phish style music, they were really after a indie pop kinda thing...to me, it comes off very resident-ish.

Here's a few clips they posted:

peterpalmieri and Lobster11 like this.
  10. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY

Saturday at BBs in Flushing or Dec 6 at still partners in Sea Cliff

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    cosmicevan likes this.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Well of course a dead mule will smell worse than phish! What does it being a government mule have to do with the smell?

peterpalmieri likes this.
  12. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    95A55BCA-3E02-4163-912F-AC0139DDA13D.

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Do you have Spotify?

14. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Wasn't the bass player a child molester? Hard to put a smiley face on that.:rollno:

15. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    No one knows what anyone is really up to, but the incident you are referring to was a misunderstanding backstage at a concert. The story as I heard it was that Mike was photographing a child who was taking a ride on his segway and some hells angels didnt think it was appropriate so they roughed him up.

Not quite the same thing as molesting a child but go ahead and blow the story out of proportion and lay down some slander/libel. Classy thing to do, especially considering that no charges were filed or arrests made, just some articles w good ol fashioned clickbait headlines.