Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Talkbasses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by John Sprague, Aug 23, 2003.

1. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I've been getting a bunch of pics from Paul Warburton of his Bohmann, and I though it might be fun to set up a DB-only gallery of Talkbass basses. It would be a little showcase of unique basses, basses made by you guys, etc... So I put together a rough draft (emphasize "rough"), featuring Paul's bass (and alot of Paul, too!) as the first victim. I would also like to add galleries for the Talkbass ISB basses. Lemme know what you think, if you want it, etc..., and I'll pretty it up a bit more and keep it updated with whatever images you folks want there.

http://www.cscproducts.com/tb/tb4.html

p.s.: if it doesn't work smoothly for you, update your flash player to version 6 at www.macromedia.com

p.p.s: apologies to the folks on dial-up, some images are a little heavy to preserve quality.

2. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    update: Ahnold's bass that we gawked at during the ISB convention has been added to the gallery, as well as a "special" (wink, wink) pic in Paul's gallery. I have several more from Paul with great detail to be added soon.

Now if Jeff Fullback and Nick Floyd will send me pics of their latest creations, we'll have something going here.

Any other Talkbasses you folks think should be added?

3. John...You've done it again! Thanks again!
    Arnolds bass is just out of this world! Is that cloud maple? What a knock-out! This is my first look at this bass. I've never seen figure like that.....Somebody tell me more please. Sound? String length? Classical? Jazz?
    More respect!!! Paul

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Wow... what a stunning instrument. I just wanna know how Arnold bent that incredibly figured wood!

5. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    This link will take you to the page on Arnold's site where he answers some of these questions.

6. John,
    Small world! As far as I know, I'm the only person who has seen both of these basses. First, I'm the very, very proud owner of Arnold's bass. It plays and sounds as beautiful as it looks! Arnold's website gives the details about the bass, but in response to Paul's questions: it's set up as an orchestra bass with Helicore orchestra strings, medium gauge, with a 42" string length. However, the jazz sound is great-wonderful pizz response with a deep, dark sound. WIth the bow, it really shakes the room. From the "c" on the A string down, you can really feel the vibration in the floor. The action and response is what sold me on the bass-very responsive and easy to play. My best story so far is, as I was using it in concert for the first time a couple of weeks ago at a BachFest in Poughkeepsie, NY, I was playing a cantata with a small chamber orchestra and chorus. As we were going through the rehearsal, I was enjoying how easy it was to play in tune with the organist (it's a cathedral-like church with a wonderful pipe organ). About half way through the piece, I glanced over-there was no organ, it was just me & the bass filling up the church!
    As for Paul's bass, I grew up in Denver, and Paul Warburton was "the" bassist. I remember when he bought his bass, and what a great sound he got with it. Over the years when I've gone back to Denver, Paul has always been kind enough to remember me, and I've had the great privilege of playing his bass a couple of times. I've never played a 5 string that was so even sounding throughout, but more important, Paul really knows how to use the whole range of his bass. Each time I hear him is like another lesson in jazz playing!
    Sorry for the length of this-my first post, but I really wanted to share this with everyone.

Lou Pappas

7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    A small world is a good world.

8. Lou..Congratulations on the purchase of Arnolds bass, and it's great to hear you're still out there doin it! I can't think of a more deserving and responsible owner and player of this beautiful instrument. Welcome to TB! I've only been on for a couple of weeks, but it feels like home...you'll love it.
    If you come through town again, i'd love to play the bass. Paul

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    John,

Great idea for a webpage, very artfully done. Arnold and Paul - beautiful basses, both. Good to see what there is out there to lust after. Lou - I'm turning green at the moment, and I bet you can guess why.

10. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Lou,

Thanks for the great press! Welcome to TB!

Everybody else,

Sargeant Lou is about the nicest person you'll ever encounter! And on the bass he covers it all. Talk about versatile! And good-looking!

Oh, geez, I've gone over the top now--but, oh well, I really like this guy, and couldn't be prouder that he is one of my bass recipients.

Paul,

Welcome to you, too, and thanks for the kind words!

11. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Some updates, featuring Monte's new bass, and more detail of Paul's. Also a new link:

http://www.cscproducts.com/tb/tb4.html

And just a reminder, if you haven't updated the Flash player in your browser in a long while, take 60 seconds to do so at this link. The update should make the page, as well as many spots on the web, look better and run smoother.

Tip: for best viewing, hit your F11 key. (toggles full screen).

12. John, it's looking better and better! Thanks again!
    Monte, I love your Solano. Does he have a web site? The scroll makes my Bohmann look like a cello! Macho Mother!

13. ..wiping the drool off my chin...

That bass is beautiful arnold.

14. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I second Paul on that one!! Looking great. Everyone, don't be shy. I love checking out other instruments.

Paul, Rumano does have a website, although he doesn't really update it. You can check it out here .

I love Ahhnold's bass, and someday, hopefully soon, I'll come to Denver and check out the Bohmann in person. My brother just moved there to do genetic research at the CU Health Science Center (VA Hospital), so I've been trying to plan a trip up there.

Another note of bragging; I took the Solano to play a couple of nights in Austin and had people constantly admiring its big sound. On one gig, a guy kept looking everywhere for my amp and couldn't believe I was acoustic. At the Elaphant Room I used a mic, and had one guy tell me that it was nice to hear such a natural sound; with the low ceilings in there, bass amps get really boomy.

Monte

15. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Great idea John. It is a wonderful addition to Talkbass. BTW, my ISB booth was between Arnold's and Rumano's, talk about be surrounded by amazing instruments!

16. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The latest addition to the page has been added, Jeff Bollbach's lion head. I've been dying to get this one up there since the beginning. I think with what you see on the site, there really is no argument that right now bass luthiery is at a high point in its history.

Enjoy:)

p.s.: Feel free, anyone, to link from/to anywhere, anytime, and for pete's sake if you have a stunner of a bass let's get it on the site.

The Talkbasses: a salute to the finer basses of the Talkbass community.

17. John, great entry from Jeff! Jeff...What can I say? BEAUTIFUL!
    Damn, we got some heavy luthier talent here!!
    Now if we can get you know Wwho Ooff Hhis Aass!

18. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah, well, my ass has been parked at my bench, trying to keep a deadline for a big repair job. It's finally done, so I've got some time to send Mr. Ragu some pics...

19. Am I the first person to quote himself on TBDB? I thought about PMing Jeff on this compliment, but then no one else would be able to enjoy it.
    My buddy, and great luthier in his own right, Bob Ross www.rossdoublebass.com after I sent him a link to Talkbasses said of Jeffs lionhead and I agree: " That's the best carving i've ever seen on an instrument"!
    Coming from this guy, that's some kind of compliment!

20. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I looked at the other basses on Jeff's site , and all of his scrolls get the extra measure. Gorgeous stuff, the guy's got a gift.