1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Talking Heads

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassist15, Mar 28, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I love this band. I discovered them awhile back and I jstu love their music. they haev awesome funky bass and African rythms and use of many different percussion instrumetns. I really think Remain in Light is one of the best albums of all time. I cant wait to get Stop make sense and hear Bernie Worrell with them. I also think Tina Weymouth is a very underrated bassist. Her work is great on every album. I know she didnt play ever cut on Remain in Light but she did most of them and they are great. She showed me that simple can be very funky and be very great. I really like how The Talking heads bring in a broad cast of wonderful musicians to record like Adrian Belew, Busta Jones , & Bernie Worrell to name a few. I really look forward to getting more of their albums, like i said i only have Remain in Light.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you can, get the DVD of Stop Making Sense as well. It's been called the Citizen Kane of concert films & for good reason.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    They were a great band. Brian Eno should get a fair share of the credit for Remain In Light, as well.

I have to admit I've never seen Stop Making Sense. I am going to put it on my Amazon wish list right now. :)

4. The Name of this Band is Talking Heads is a way better live document than Stop Making Sense.

5. I'm a big fan of 'Fear of Music'.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Tina also wrote the "Genius of Love" bassline. She hurt her hand during the recording of the Tom Tom Club album, so she had to teach the engineer, who was also a bassist, how to play it. Very underrated indeed!

7. Fear of Music is the greatest coke-disco-party record ever, and the grooves are just incredible. "I Zimbra," "Cities," "Air," "Animals," "Electric Guitar," and the mindblowingly awesome "Drugs" are tracks with which every bassist should be intimately familiar, IMO--nothing technical, just devastating groove playing. Ms. Weymouth obviously did her Jamerson/Bootsy homework.

8. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    the 5.1 mixes on the dual discs are out of this world on the older ones, esp Remain in Light and after. A real surround sound treat!

9. I see there are other fans of Fear of Music as well?

First time I heard 'Drugs' I got *scared*.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Overall, I like Remain In Light much better. But Fear of Music is great. I Zimbra is definitely my favorite track. Animals and Electric Guitar probably after that.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Stop Making Sense is a great concert film. I saw it in the theatres - twice in fact - when it was released 20 years ago. The band totally grooves...

MM

12. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    BTW, Tina did an interview in Bass Player magazine several years ago, in which she confirmed that she could hardly play at all when the band first started up during the mid-70s. Her basslines were ultra-simple of necessity - because she couldn't play anything at all complex...

Since then, most of her lines have remained quite simple - and that's a big part of their charm. I just finished playing along with Psycho Killer, Once In A Lifetime and Burning Down The House in tribute. Besides, they're so much fun...

MM

13. Yes, I remember that article. I recall her mentioning that she dug in so hard on her little Hofner knockoff that her fingers bled. Who says that the Heads weren't punk? ;)

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wasn't 'the band' at point in time using outside/session musicians?
    I recall Alex Weir(Brothers Johnson) playing guitar...can't recall offhand who was playing bass(IIRC, Tina was playing percussion + some keyboards at this time).

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've never sseen the film Stop Making Sense. I should go look it up though. I did see the tour at a couple of stops though. I was a huge fan back then. IIRC Tina shared bass duties with another player and filled in on keyboards with Bernie and Jerry.

I haven;t listed to either Fear or Music or Remain in Light for a long time but they were fabulous albums. The other album from the Remain in Light era that was pivotal for me was the King Crimson release (damned if I can remember the name but it was the red album which was the first release featuring Fripp, Belew, Levin and Bruford ...embarassing that I can;t remember the name YIKES! a senior moment) That whole afro-cuban and poly-rythmic thing in a rock setting that Fripp and Byrne were exploring was mind blowing for the day. Common enough now but in 1980 it was like whawuzat ?

16. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Funny how David Byrne wanted her ousted from the band when they signed the first record deal.

She plays interesting stuff. I personally just like to watch her sway her hips.

17. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    Wow ..... thanks for this thread, spent the last hour listening to some Heads music that has been ignored for years.

Saw them in 1980 (when did I get so old ...) and they were doing a midwestern college campus tour. I thought it was outstanding, some people still did not get it yet.

18. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I had a front row seat in Philly for the Stop Making Sense tour back in ..what was it ...'83? I was a teenager. What a wild show!

I just bought the '77 and Remain in Light 5.1 mixes and have been listening to them alot lately. Jerry Harrison did a terrific job remixing them.

The heads were disgustingly creative and way ahead of their time.

19. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Busta Jones was the bass player. the Fear of Music and Remain in Light Dual discs each have two videos from a German concert, that has both Busta and Belew on them!

Busta lays it down on the Remain in Light stuff.

20. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah, it was a big band - the basic four-piece plus a bunch of other people on backing vocals, percussion, guitar, etc. Although as I recall, Tina is the only one who plays bass throughout the show...

The film starts off with David Bryne playing a solo rendition of Psycho Killer on acoustic guitar, with other members of the band gradually joining in with each new tune. By the end of the show everyone had joined in, and it turned into one great, big groovefest... :bassist:

MM