Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The tarantula egg finally hatched! (pics within).

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Sep 11, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evenin' all. Anyone remember when I posted about breeding one of our tarantulas waaayy back in Oct' last year?

Well the spider laid an egg a few weeks back and it hatched today! Theres between 200-300ish scattered all around the tank! Whats 'strange' is that tomorrow (well today now, 12th sep 2003) was the planned opening day of a taratula site I've made (I created and maintain it, my brother does all the content, I'm not too into 'em).

Here's a pic or 2 for ya to see!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theres more on this page of our site aswell as pics/dates of the actual mating and the egg laying if anyone's interested. feel free to browse the site, a fair bit is still to be published though :cool: http://mysite.freeserve.com/Hatchery/projects_breedinggrosea.htm

2. Wow dude! That is insane looking! They look so crazy. What do you feed the lil 'uns?

3. I'd be nervous they'd get out...them things are creepy.

Good luck with them.

What do you plan on doing w/ them?:meh:

4. After looking at the site it looks as if they (him and his bro) are planning on selling them :)

5. k

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Half of them get sent to the owner of their old man. Most of the remeaining will be sold or traded by mybrother and we'll keep a few to raiseto adults etc.

The spider that laid the egg is the first ever tarauntula we got. We got it 11 years ago so I guess its maybe 15 or 16. The guy we got it off lives 15 miles away so I'll contact him and see if he wants any babies!

They'll eat any insect thats of equal or smaller size than they are. They probably wont eat for a week or two so that gives us time to section them off into their own containers (sorry if it sounds cruel but here they get a 95% survial rate as opposed to maybe %5 in the wild).

PS - sorry about the spam on the pics, it's all my bros doing :/

7. thats not cruel,thats cool...I dig it. you're like the Spider Hunter--Yoshi Erwin! :D

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ..oooog!:eek: :eek: :oops: :)

9. That is pretty crazy dude.

Why don't they eat for 1-2 weeks? Too small?

10. Holy shizat that alot of spiders.

11. spiders are so damned cool

and I gotta give you credit, having that many spiders and not being uneasy is true courage...

12. Wow, that is really creepy.

*shivers runs down spine*

Good luck and i hope they don't all get loose.:eek:

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hehe, looks like there's like kazillion of them running around the tank - I just hope you don't drop it, it would take ages to gather them all again :D

But anyways, cool beans! And on the financial side, tarantulas aren't free as far as I have understood so you might actually make a few bucks in the process :cool:

14. Just make sure they don't get out! :D

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, THE MONSTERS ARE MULTIPLYING!!!!

:help:

brad cook

16. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    This species, Chilean Rose/Grammostola Rosea,don't sell for a great deal as they are pretty common so nerdfs dont get worked up about them.

My brotehrs shown me posts off a forum he's at where geeks have paid $250+ for one spiderling! Its mum was wild caught, so I wonder how much the owner of the spider paid a native to catch it for him...maybe $1 or so:rolleyes:..

They dont eat as when they come out the eggsac they moult shortly after so their fangs arent hard enough to peirce any juicy bugs. I don't know how long theyd go in the wild, but another haul of nippers didnt eat for about 2 weeks (once they were placed in their own homes).

17. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Crap I just saw a big black spider running around the floor in my room while practicing...I couldn't catch it and now I'm afraid to go to sleep tonight:eek:

18. I hate that.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One time at the computer company that I used to work at I killed a black widow on my desk RIGHT next to where I was about to put my hand to use the mouse. *shiver*

:bag:

brad cook

20. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    WOW Yoshi, thats AWESOME. Eight legged freaks.

As for a Spider story:

The other day I was kinda cleaning out my garage, I felt something crawling on my arm. I looked down, and right on my arm was a nice sized BLACK WIDOW. I'm talking short sleeve shirt, crawling right on my skin. In a flash I brushed it off, jumped back and yelled out a few choice words or two. Then stomped on the little ......