1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The technical term for the ripples in a speaker cone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Apr 24, 2016.

  1. Tunaman


    Dec 26, 2004
    Anybody know what the ridges in a speaker cone that allows it to oscillate are called? I'm trying to design a product that uses a similar system to suspend a circle over a sensor but allows it to be pressed down. Anybody know where I could source rippled plastic parts?

  2. Mike A likes this.
  3. Bob Clayton

    Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

    Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Do you mean the suspension?

  4. Tunaman


    Dec 26, 2004
    Surround or suspension, both work. I actually bought a few surrounds on ebay that will fit my project perfectly but I'd like to source a generic part of similar function directly. Thanks!
  5. agedhorse

    agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    What is labeled as suspension in the diagram is more often called a spider. The surround is available in a variety of materials and geometries for different applications.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.