Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Tecmo Bowl appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Aug 22, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I didn't want to hi-jack eldave's thread, so I figured I'd start my own.

Anyone a fan of the old NES game Tecmo Superbowl?
    Even with all the new fancy games out there, it's still my favorite game. I remember all the trash-talking fun we had with this game in college, and Tecmo bowl made for some good times and interesting memories.

BTW, I'll utterly destroy and humiliate anyone at this game. I'm looking forward to my long awaited match with MJ5150. It's not planned yet, but the day will come..........

2. Me and my brother used to play that all the time when I was little. One of the things I remember was Bo Jackson being one of the best players on the game. Great times man.

3. YESSSSSSSS!!!! I love it.

Forget all the new garbage... that is the best game ever. ever.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i agree with getlow.

best game ever. all the new games have gotten too complicated. like madden 06... no .. no field of vision. just throw the ball.

jive - if i am ever in VA. i am gonan give you a call and we will find a way

5. Oh yes, running with Bo was a thing of beauty in that game. My brothers and I had a great time playing Tecmo growing up, as well as Konami's classic hockey game, Blades of Steel.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't like football games, but I like Tecmo super bowl...

7. What an awesome game! Tecmo Super Bowl on SNES was pretty good but it wasn't as balanced as Tecmo Bowl. Tecmo Bowl was just perfect.

8. I liked when the guy would say "Ready, down." And then keep saying "hut hut hut" until you hiked the ball.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    it was all about super tecmo bowl for snes/genesis.

10. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    Super Tecmo on NES, best game ever. Things were broken over that game. My buddy got soo pissed cause he lost he grabbed the game out of the NES threw it out a two story window on the snow covered street. He went out and got it after about 5 minutes. Forget BO Jackson....QB Eagles is the man!

11. Friend of mine used to drop back to pass ALL THE WAY to his own goal line and right as I got close to him, he'd let it go. I had no idea that John Elway could complete a 77 yard pass with ease.

Another sure-fire TD was punt returns with Gerald "ice cube" McNeil. He was so slippery he'd either score or you'd get a great return out of it.

12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    You better have gotten the game out of the snow! Life without Tecmo....

We had many a battle in the college digs because of this game too. Mainly because the game just lends itself to mad trash-talking. I had a friend who stormed out of my pad, called us a bunch of b@$tards and slammed the door. Wouldn't talk to us for days, until finally the Tecmo urge hit him again and he returned for his daily humiliation. More than 10 years later, we still give him hell for that episode.

I'll own all challengers in Tecmo Superbowl. Unfortunately success in Tecmo doesn't translate to success in life. If so, I'd have a harem of thousands of women, more money than Bill Gates, and an empire larger than Genghis Khan, Caesar, and Alexander combined. Instead I'm just Jive1 - the Tecmo god.

Clay if you think you have the nards, then bring it on! Everyone else, please spend a few minutes of introspection and make sure your self esteem is at it's highest before issuing me any challenges. I don't want to be responsible for any bouts of depression, alcoholism, or suicide because the humilation that you would receive at my hands in the Tecmo arena.

13. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    man jive i'll take anyone any team on with the Eagles. QB Eagles is the precursor to Michael Vick. If i drop to pass and you blitz i run right by you. Or i can bomb a 70 yrd pass with accuracy to Mike Quick. Or if you go into coverage...i'll just scramble for the first...oh yeah i got the Minister of Defense and Seth Joyner. Bring what you got...i'll steal tha harem.

14. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I remember that, moving your little guys near a running w/Bo Jackson would make the whole team go flying off the screen. good times...:bassist:

15. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    You have just been added to my list of people that deserve humiliation. I could easily destroy you with SF, BUF or HOU but that's not what I'm about. CHI or NYG will easily destroy in my hands. With my capable hands I believe I can kill you with a multitude of teams.

Alright boys, blow on the cartridge and rue the day when I travel to your town. Because yo a$$ be gettin PUNKED, Jive style!

Current roster of individuals signed up for Advanced Humility Training:
    MJ5150
    Clay
    bste9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I played a lot of Tecmo Bowl back then. We used to have parties where we had mini-tournaments. lol :cool:

Madden '06 just arrived at my door today. Haven't installed it yet. Heh heh... :rolleyes:

17. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES is my favorite football game of all time. I don't care how detailed the new Madden games are or how good the presentation is they will never be as fun as Tecmo Bowl is.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I revisited it last year on PC via one of the emulators. Rockin'! Though at my advanced age my mad Tecmo skillz aren't what they used to be, so I won't sign up for a tourney.

19. I love reliving old memories with the long dead Houston Oilers.

20. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I haven't seen my arch-rival, MJ5150 on this thread yet. He must be too busy practicing for his moment of destiny.