Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Temptations "I can't Get Next To You"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fender58, May 21, 2001.

1. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I am looking for anything about this song please. Would love the music most. Or sombody to tell me what key it is in...etc. Was James Jamerson the bass player? Did another "Motown" band cover it or did anybody after it was released? Thanks!!! Danny

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Norman Whitfield composed this tune, right?
    Did The Temptations ever record this?
    Anyway, IMO, I doubt Jamerson played on this particular track...

I think I have Rose Royce's version of this on the Car Wash soundtrack.
    (BTW, Rose Royce was a Norman Whitfield-backed Soul/R&B band from the '70s...in addition to "Car Wash", they had other hits with "Love Don't Live Here Anymore"(covered by Madonna), "Ooh, Boy"(very tasty bass playin' by Lequient Jobe), & "I'm Wishing On A Star". Killer band, IMO).

3. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks Jim.

The Temptations did do it as I have it on a Motown Greatest 40 Hits CD released by UTVrecords in 2000.(Universal) I am a begining bass player and find it hard to figure out keys and such.

Wait there are some notes.

Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong are credited. Produced by Norman Released 7/30/69.
    Gordy 7093 (?) For Barry Gordy I presume.
    Pop #1 R&B #1
    "Dennis Edwards of the Contours was now the Temptations new singer" " Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams shared the lead" " It was their fisrt #1 hit since "My Girl".

4. I can't remember the key but the song bassicly goes from F to Ab, before the chorus it has a Bb and it continues through the chorus, then back to F and Ab that is pretty much it except it also has a C on the outro.

That should help a little hopefully.

:D

5. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks so much to you all.

Who ever it is on the recording I have does a great job on the bass. If I could play half that well I would....

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    DUH! Sorry, I was totally thinking of "I Wanna Get Next To You" & NOT "I Can't Get Next To You" by The Temptations(senior moment...).
    Norman Whifield was involved with both tunes/production, still, that's no excuse! ;)

I was just re-reading Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, the section where JJ & Norman Whitfield hook up. The book sez(basically)that Jamerson & Whitfield bumped heads; JJ liked to improv his lines & Whitfield liked more of a written-out approach. As a result, Bob Babbitt played on a lotta of those '70s "Psychedelic" tunes.
    FWIW, it really does sound like Jamerson on "I Can't Get Next To You", though, it could be Babbitt. "Psychedelic Shack" is a tune with a similiar groove.
    I do like that era of The Temptations...
    "Cloud Nine", "(I Know)I'm Losing You", "Ball Of Confusion", etc
    Cool stuff.

7. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks again JimK. Great book it is. I will read that part tonight. Good luck to the Flyers too!!!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...you're takin' a jab at me, right? ;)
    (Philly was eliminated in the 1st Round...maybe they'll get lucky in the draft or Free-Agent market). ;)

9. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I was just being stupid. I used to play hockey in HS and now pretty much just pay attention to the playoffs; but not alot of attention as you saw...I tried to send a private message when I saw my mistake last night...

sorry folks for going off topic...

i'll take NJ now

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    The game is not over yet....but it's 1-0 colorado

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You can find versions of this by Al Green, and by Savoy Brown, who released it on Street Corner Talking. The funny thing is that they are both pretty much the same arrangement. I began working this up a while back, and I did it in C - basically rotated from C to F and back. Savoy Brown liked putting a half-step C# into the mix.

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's the first track on Hiram Bullock's "Manny's Car Wash". Great accompaniment (both bass and vocals) from Will Lee.