The Tempur-pedic mattress

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slugworth, Apr 6, 2005.

1. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Anybody here own one of those Tempurpedic mattresses?
    Like it? Hate it? The adverstisements say that the foam stuff was developed by NASA or something.

2. I have a pillow made of that stuff. It's awesome!
    No experience with the mattress, though.
  3. I have one of those mattresses at home (Here we use granite pads). It's really, really nice. I too often oversleep because of it though.
  4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    They provide a 90 day "test drive".. I think I'm gonna order one and give it a try. If I don't like it, I'll return it for a refund.
  5. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    one of my girlfriends boss' purchased one. she was asked to house sit for a week while they were away. so i stayed over a few nights. the bed is amazing. well worth the money. do not get suckered into the knock offs because they are not as good.
  6. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I have layed on one for a minutes at a store and it was really awesome. I almost fell asleep it was so nice.
  7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> That's what I've heard too..These things are incredible.
    I found a place that can deliver the real deal this Friday. I think I'm gonna take the plunge, but these things are pricey.
    Not bad I guess if you average the cost over several years.
    I'll report back with the results.

8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've fallen asleep in church...that doesn't mean pews make good beds.

brad cook
  9. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> This is true, but you can't get your collection plate money back if you didn't like the sermon!!! :smug:
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    here's a thread i did on my own search.

FYI, i did end up buying a "Classic" TP bed, and love it! quite nice, and does mold to your body, while supporting your back. a nice change from all those terrible futons i've slept on since college. the only apprehension i have with it, is that i've heard it can make you feel hot in the summer time, cause it collects and uses your own body temp to provide that comfort. something i'll keep in mind in my un-AC'ed house. :(

also, for a second POV, my GF, unfortunately, didnt fare as well with her TP Classic. for some odd reason, hers was quite hard and uncomfortable. we were thinking she got a "used" bed, or one that was "defective".

she's since sent it back and bought another bed, an American Excellence "Key Largo". its made of more latex material than my classic, and is almost spongy. but my back is very supported, and does in fact feel incredibly comfortable. also was much cheaper. while happy with my bed, i wouldnt mind having that mattress at all!

btw, her mattress is a bit high, so you might wanna get what's called a "bunky board", which is literally just a solid 2" high platform. most mattress stores sell them.

also, with these foam beds, they make you buy their box springs for a reason. its important to have a box spring that's completely flat and solid like a plywood board. those "slat" like box springs or bed furniture like from Ikea are bad cause over time, the latex material will start to "ooze" thru. not using one will void the warranty. i actually had mine on the floor for a while, and its just as fine. you can use your own regular box spring, but you will need to use a plywood board underneath.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    We have a king-size one. It's pretty comfy, but I can (and do) sleep on the floor and be comfortable, so take that as you will. It's not like a normal bed-if you take a running dive onto one, you won't bounce; you'll just injure yourself. Basically you sink into a position and the bed molds around you, so it's not as immediately comfortable, but if you wait for ten seconds for the mold to form, it's very nice. Not the best type of bed if you're a real tosser and turner, I imagine.
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I tried the display at a store... I thought it sucked.
  13. I don't care if Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf designed it, I really want one. I've tried them out in stores, I know it's a poor substitute for a night of sleep, but that mattress is so unbelievably comfortable.

That being said I like a hard mattress.

We got one of those "memory foam" mattress pads, it made the bed softer. :mad:
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    But least you got to leave some Money butt-funk on it.

brad cook
  15. Not the same as "logging off" when he left, though.
  16. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Lots of people I talk to swear by either the Theraputic (mold to your body) mattreses or the Sleep Number beds that have the dial which allows you to adjust the firmness of either side to your preference.

I like the idea of the bed that molds to your body..I've tried these and they are really comfortable..however I like a firm'd be nice if the Theraputic mattress manufacturer's got with the other guys and combined the two..I'd be on board for one of those.
  17. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I GOT IT!!!!! California King with pillow top...This thing is
    fantastic! Haven't slept this well in years. Big improvement
    over the old potato chip I was sleeping on before. I don't wake up stiff & sore anymore. Highly recommended.

Nighty Nite