Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The test of time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Let's give props to amp gear you've been using regularly over the long haul!

Like many of you I've done a lot of gear swapping. Most of my amp gear is post-Y2K. Over the past 27 years I've owned and have experimented with a number of other amps and preamps, but my Alembic F2B has rarely left my rack and has been my primary tone machine since roughly since I bought it back around 1985 ($225, pre-owned). Road test results: only problem in all that time was a loose solder joint which occurred and was repaired last year.

My second oldest piece of gear (basses excluded) is the TC Electronic 1140 parametric pictured underneath, which I use for precision tweaking when necessary. As I recall I purchased that in the late 80's or early 90's. This device is super-powerful and super-quiet. I'm surprised it didn't catch on with more bassists. TC later named this device a Bass Preamplifier but that didn't help... parametrics are tricky to use, and more than most people need. Road test results: no failures, but the pots gradually became scratchy. Got that taken care of last year; it now works as well as brand new.

Oh... I've had the Furman PL-Plus since about the time they came out. No problems.

[​IMG]

2. Mesa Booge 400+ and Mesa 1x15EV cab.
    Approx. 10 years, before that I was a guitarist for 25 plus years.

3. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Electro-Harmonix instrument cable. Purchased in 1971 for the outrageous price of $19.99. Still going.

4. GK 200MB - bought in 1989, it followed me thru my 4 years in the Navy and even went to the Persian Gulf. Served as a preamp at gigs while my main rig was being repaired.

Still going like new.

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Well, if it counts, I've had my small Marshall practise amp for the whole time I've been playing!

a little over a year... :D