1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The "There Will Never be a Venue that Charges ME to Play" Club

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mellowinman, Jun 14, 2012.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I think this might be the best ever club on talkbass.

I am #1. I will probably not be in charge of the numbers after that. Everyone else, just assign yourself a number.

By joining this club, you are among the elite; the smart; the sensible.

Try not to let it go to your head!

The rules are simple:

You declare right here and now that there is no way you will ever pay to play.

Give yourself a number, and put it in your sig.

2. I'm in. I'll never pay to play.

I'll take #2.

3. In.

4. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    No way! Id rather play in my bed room for free. The thrill of playing a live show is awesome but I'm not paying for it. I'm offering a service. I'll play for free though

Number 4

5. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    I'll take #5.

6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I don't have the room in my sig but I'll take number "HELL NO!" anyways ;) . Do I get extra points for having been given the boot a day before the band booked one of these? Guess I was pretty clear as to my intention to quit rather than PTP :D .

7. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    #6 here!!!

8. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    Bah, too late.....#7!!!

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    You guys are doing a great job of managing this club! I'm way too lazy to do it, so the whole self-management thing is awesome! I mean, seriously! PAY TO PLAY??? You'd have to put a gun to my head, and even then, I'm not so sure.

How about YOU PAY ME????

Man!

10. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    You have to pay for the love of it, if your just in it for the money then what kind of musician are you? If they need the money and give you a chance then you have to be grateful. I gladly pay up to $100 to play a gig, everybody loves it and what price do you put on it anyway. If Jimmy Hendrix was alive he'd say the same thing. All the good bass players think this. Its not about how much you get but how much everyone loves it and lets face it its thereapy for me how many chances do you get to do that. venues find it hard to make a living if musicians werent paying for the privalege not aright to play then they wouldnt be there would they? In my city theres so many bands who love to play so why not encourage it rather than saying I'm not going to play so no one else should. Music should be free not a commmodity like soap or bread because its just not the same. Peace brothers.

11. oh man, here it comes.

12. masonsjax

masonsjax

Jun 10, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    If I'm helping the venue make a bundle from the people there to see me, you can bet I'm not going to do it for nothing, let alone pay them!

13. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    What other hobby can you do where they pay you to do it? Do they pay you to play soccer or go surfing? No way. It's a great way to relax and enjoy yourself but dont forget its just a bit of fun dont expect to fill a stadium! So thats why I just enjoy it to the MAX. Too many people think about getting big and being a rock star well that wont happen so just chill and enjoy it for what it is, a FUN hobby! :)

14. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    I don't think so! Its just a hobby!

15. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I gladly pay up to $100 to play a gig

I'm having gigs at my house every night this week and guess what? YOU CAN BE THE HEADLINER!!!!!

I'll even give you a place to crash and some beers!

PM me for my address. No bands go on until the check clears.:D

16. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    Haha, yes and pay for the upkeep of the venue and all the hard work cleaning stocking the bar proting the gigs advertising and keeping it all going? yeah so your getting a good deal and cant say fairer than THAT! I prefer to be positive and have a good outlook motivated by LOVE of MUSIC not just money. Peace

17. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    what about paying for a soundman? I could see paying a good professional soundman

I've played in a few pay to play situations but i'd never be the one paying!

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    This is not a debate thread; this is a club.

I'm going to take it you do not want to join.

Ah'm gonna have to ask ya ta move on through, stranger.

19. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    BritPicker, you can start the "We love to pay to play" club.

20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Why would you want to haul all your gear for $100? I'll let you stream your performance to my computer for only $10. I'll gladly accept Paypal or credit card.