Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The thick tone of an Acoustic head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boozy, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Hey everybody! I have this Acoustic 470 guitar/bass head.. I havn't played thru it in a while but after buying this HD-212 I decided to play thru them together (along with an HD-210) just to see what it all sounded like... Man was I impressed. The tone was so thick, that is the best way I can describe it. Almost made my StingRay sound a little bit like the sadowsky I heard at basstasters, "thick". Now, the problem is that the Acoustic 470 is only like 170watts I think... I mean it all goes fairly loud but not loud enough and I am scared to push it as these cabs want way more power than a measily 170watts.

I normally play thru a Sansamp RBI using this Fender BXR 300c as power (only 300watts at 4ohms, I know) and I get good tones, but I don't gert a "thick" old school sortof tone like what the Acoustic gets me.

I guess what I am wondering is, can anyone recommend an amp or preamp that will get me close to this type of tone? ampeg? peavey? I played thru a vintage SVT once and it was very thick, but I can't go that route right now. I was thinking of picking up an svp-pro or svt-IIp or possibly a peavey max but I have never played through any of them and don't really have the opportunity to play thru any of them.

I know I really do have to play thru these gizmos before I know if I will like them or not, I was just hoping I could get a bit of feedback from others who might know where I am coming from.

Thanks in advance.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Boozy...to make matters worse, the 470 makes its 170 watts at a 2 ohm load...

I have an old 450 head...same thing no reverb and tremolo, and can not believe how loud it is despite its seemingly modest ratings (by today's standards).

I haven't compared the schematics to see how similar the preamp circuit is, but if you found a 270 or 370 head (the 270 is the guitar version with reverb and tremolo) it would have essentially twice the power.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You may want to check out a Kern IP-777 preamp. Lots of thick, rich bass.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    look for a ThunderFunk TFB420. i believe its lineage is straight from the Acoustic you speak of, cause Jaco only used Acoustic gear, no?

straight from the website:

http://www.thunderfunk.com/TFB420.html

but my money for old school tones is either the Kern or the more readily available Alembic F-1X. the Alembic is based off of the ol' Fender Bassman tones. hook that up to a lightweight QSC PLX1602, and you'd have tone for miles.

5. I know the tone you're talking about (old school) as I'm older than most everybody else here. I see where you listened to the basstaisters website. What did you think of the Ampeg SVT-Pro. I've got one and it is much thicker than my F1-X or anyother pre-amp I've used. :bassist:

6. How about the Line 6 Bass Pod xt Pro ? That emulates an Acoustic 360. I can't testify how close it emulates, as I haven't tried it. The Line 6 also emulates an acoustic 18 speaker. It sounds good on paper, err monitor....Acoustic tone with any power amp you desire.

7. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    Last time I looked in my book, AMP BH-420 wasn't an Acoustic amp
    :p

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh, but of course!

still, its built by many of the guys who worked and designed at Acoustic.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Same difference...sort of...

I guess if were're tracing Acoustic lineage, the AMP SL-1 preamp can sound warm/thick if you use the global tone control to darken it a bit. Otherwise, it's as non-thick as an SWR. SL-1s can be had quite cheaply on the used market. I paid $30 for mine (in excellent condition) at a Music Go Round store last year.

Then there's Eden. I don't have experience with Eden amps, but they might be a good choice for Boozy. Anyone care to comment?

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I still have my old Acoustic 470......It may be only a 170 watts, but it's a loud 170 watts. I've had mine since the first came out about 28 years ago.......man I'm old!

11. You know, I've got one of those things and it does do a decent job of a 360.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I was browsing a boutique pedal site just a few days ago, and they make the 360 in a floor preamp pedal......I just can't recall the site.....too much ganja :cool:

13. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    LOL! Never too much ganja ;)

14. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Yeah, the svp-pro seems like I would like it, it is just really hard to tell without getting to play thru one. The RBI is good, it gives me lots of tones I like, warm, full, bassy or hard and crisp, or growly or a bit over driven, but it is not thick or rich like the Acoustic. The Acoustic is just voiced differently and it sounds like it would fit in great with the band I am in. I think my output transformers might need replacing as it always sounds a little distortion-ee tho.. or not distortion-ee, just kinda dirty background noise, annoys me. I do really like my RBI for when I play alone tho, it gives me a great clean tone. I guess I want something that I can use to get the tones I get from my RBI, but also be able to get close to that rich, thick tone I get from this Acoustic head.

You think the SVP-Pro will get me close? Does that mid-selector switch on the SVP-Pro change the voicing quite a bit? My problem is I like alot of different tones and really want something with alot of tonal range.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it's greatly appreciated.

15. I wouldn't say the SVP-Pro has a whole lot of different tones, but the ones it has, I seem to like quite a bit. The other solution POD which I also happen to have has a "amp 360" setting that simulates the Acoustic sound rather well. Better than most of the other settings (imho). The Kidney shaped model can be had pretty cheap used. See if you can find one in a music store and check it out. The SVP-Pro gives you a Thick sound, but it's a thick Ampeg sound and not an Acoustic tone. If you want something that will give you a lot of tone variation + effects, you really can't beat the Pod or POD Pro.

16. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/vivaAnalog360.html

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind, but you can pair one of these clone pedals with an amp and probably get a sound very close to an Acoustic 360 head. Is that sound markedly different from the 470?

If I didn't already have a SansAmp BDDI, I'd snap one of these up. They look really cool.