1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The thing you coulda, shoulda bought but didn’t - Reverse-GAS gone wrong

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, Dec 10, 2018.

1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    15 years ago I talked myself out an beat up Alembic for $1,000. “It’s a five, I only play sixes.” :banghead::banghead:

What’s your deal that got away?

rtav and mikewalker like this.
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Years ago, a local music store had a used, like new, Modulus Quantum 6 for $1000. I had the cash, but I wasn’t sure about playing a six’r. Obviously, because of this post, I wish I had pulled the trigger.

RyanOh and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  3. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    aagh... i feel your pain

Slater likes this.
  4. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

In 1987 I borrowed a 70's Ric 4001 Mapleglo from a local shop owner while my Guild SB-202 was getting some work done. Had it about two weeks. Could have owned it for $400 and decided I liked my Guild more, but I considered doing a trade-in deal.

In hindsight, I wish I found a way to keep that Ric. It was pretty cool, and I didn't own one until 2016 (a 4003).

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  5. I was offered the house painted (someone long before me had painted the bass with oil based outdoor paint the school colors) :( green and yellow upright that I learned on in grammar school when they were shuttering the building and said no. I was the only dumb a@@ to ever want to play bass in the school back in the 60's. I have lived in town all my life, so they knew where to find me at the time. I wish I would have taken it in hind sight. But I didn't and have forever lost a part of my childhood. That is a pretty sad story I wonder if I should re-write the ending :( He said yes and lived happily ever after the end.......

6. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    i have a few sentimental coulda shoulda’s from childhood as well. Had the chance to re-buy the guitar i learned on, but passed. Now i wish I hadn’t.

7. TBH, I can recall quite a few dumb moves I've made over the decades. I'll dredge up more if I think about it, but these two come to mind immediately...

Turned down an unplayed NOS Pedulla Rapture fiver for $800. Black with matching headstock, Bart JJ's and pre, tolex case, candy and truss tool, build sheet, etc. I think at the time, the street price was ~$2700.

Back in 1974 I walked away from a minty one-owner, under-the-bed (literally) '64 Fender CAR P bass, complete with tolex, Fender strap & polishing cloth. The guy got it as a birthday gift, rarely took it outta the case. For sale in the Chicago Sun Times for $185 OBO. The owner wouldn't accept my offer of $175, so I got irked and walked. lol

8. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    that Pedulla story hurts me physically :roflmao:

9. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    ??

I don't understand - if you only played sixes why would you ever buy a five? This post makes no sense.

10. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    at the time i had constrained myself to only playing sixes. But now I play 4, 5’s and 6’s. So looking back I feel foolish for passing on an amazing deal for what now seems like a silly reason.

FingerDub likes this.
  11. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I only ran across a pre-fire Dingwall Prima Artist that was on sale for 1,500.
    I wanted it badly, but had to wait for a bonus to afford it.
    When the bonus came the bass was sold a week prior.
    I still think of that bass, but there was nothing from my part to be done about the situation.

12. In the 1970's I had a chance to buy an original Fender Mustang from a co-worker for $75 and didn't do it. Over the years there have been a number of times when I didn't buy something and later regretted it. Of course, there are also some purchases I should have avoided.

Thump on,

One_Dude

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have two.
    In 1966 when I was aboard the USS America, I was offered a ratty looking, hand painted old P, slab body, single pickup. It looked like it had been painted a sickly blue with a brush. I turned it down because I thought $50 was too much.

In 1988, My wife wanted to buy me an amp for my birthday. The store I went to had a Peavey 60 watt combo sitting next to an old Ampeg flip top. Each was $250. I chose the Peavey because I was afraid if the Ampeg failed, I would not be able to repair it.

14. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    These are great, yet painful stories :)